PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land registry question

Options
I need to find out what percentage I own of a property jointly with other family members. The land registry details show that my sister and I own a certain percentage between us, with another family member owning a specific amount in their own right.
If I rang the land registry would they be able to tell me my specific ownership percentage? Thank you.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Almost certainly not.

The % ownersip is normally specified in a seperate document eg a Deed of Trust, drawn up and held by the people involved.

How come you don't know? How did you come to own the property?

* did you jointly buy?
    * inherit?
    * gifted?
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Almost certainly not.

The % ownersip is normally specified in a seperate document eg a Deed of Trust, drawn up and held by the people involved.

How come you don't know? How did you come to own the property?

* did you jointly buy?
    * inherit?
    * gifted?

Complicated situation. My mum died, without going into the details there was an issue regarding her will, took ages to sort out, in the meantime my dad sold their house and bought another one which myself and my sister ended up owning part of it under a trust (my mum's original share ). They were tenants in common. My sister and i are named on the land registry as owning a percentage between us, but not individually. We know that we have equal shares but it's written as one total.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CathA wrote: »
    My sister and i are named on the land registry as owning a percentage between us, but not individually. We know that we have equal shares but it's written as one total.
    There's your answer, then. Halve the joint percentage, and you've got your percentage.
  • CathA
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    There's your answer, then. Halve the joint percentage, and you've got your percentage.

Ha ha thanks! We KNOW we have half each but I need paperwork to SAY we have half each, rather than just the total percentage overall. Any further suggestions?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Equal shares is the default if there's nothing to suggest otherwise.
  • G_M
    edited 15 March 2018 at 12:15AM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Hmmmm.... depends.

Simplistictly, mum & dad each owned 50% of original property.
    So dad owned 50% of the new property and mum's share was split between OP and sister: so 25% each.

But:

* What was the sale price of the original property owned by mum & dad?
    * What was th purchase price of the replacement property?
    * If new property was more expensive (taking sale/purchase costs into account), who paid the extra?
    * If new property was cheaper (taking sale/purchase costs into account), where did the left-over cash go?

Then to further complicate things:

* who lived in the new property? all 3?
    * if not, did the occupying owner pay rent to the non-occupying owners for their share?
    * who paid the running costs? council tax, gas insurance?
    * who paid the maintenance? Repairs etc?
    * improvements, if any (eg extension, new conservatory) who paid for these?

Oh! And don't forget Capital Gains Tax hen it's sold if all 3 did not live there - though that is moving beyond the scope of your original query!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm.... depends.

Simplistictly, mum & dad each owned 50% of original property.
    So dad owned 50% of the ne property and mum's share was split between OP and sister: so 25% each.

But:

* What was the sale price of the original property owned by mum & dad?
    * What was th purchase price of the replacement property?
    * If new property was more expensive (taking sale/purchase costs into account), ho paid the extra?
    * If new property was cheaper (taking sale/purchase costs into account), where did the left-over cash go?
    You're overthinking.
    OP + Sister have equal shares.
    OP + Sister have 25% between them, according to LR.
    Ergo, OP + Sister have 12.5% each, according to LR.
    That's all there is to it. The other 75% is irrelevant, because we know for a fact it's not the OP's.
  • G_M
    edited 15 March 2018 at 12:23AM
    Options
    oops yes. Scim read and missed that the LR shows some detail other than the joint names.

Would help if the OP had actually quoted what the LR shows.

(wish people would put decent amount of relevant details in their original posts, rather than either drip-feeding, or just leaving us guessing but still expect an answer...)
  • CathA
    Options
    oops yes. Scim read and missed that the LR shows some detail other than the joint names.

Would help if the OP had actually quoted what the LR shows.

(wish people would put decent amount of relevant details in their original posts, rather than either drip-feeding, or just leaving us guessing but still expect an answer...)

Sorry,the paperwork is not here at the moment and I didn't mean to drip feed, just wondered if ringing the land registry would be the way to go. I'll ring them tomorrow and report back.
    Thanks everyone
  • CathA
    Options
    I rang the land registry this morning (they start at 8am, who knew?) and as suspected they don't know what percentages are what, they just know that 3 of us are registered proprietors and tenants in common.
    The actual ownership percentages are more than likely mentioned in other paperwork that I don't have at the moment, but I'm getting that from my dad soon to look at. He thinks the figures required are in there, he said he'd seen it somewhere but I'll need to find it myself.
    Thanks everyone for the info given here. Next time GM I promise I'll give more details first off! Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure