We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lost cause? - Tomato plant.

Options
Cliecost
Cliecost Posts: 633 Forumite
Hi,

This is a beef steak tomato plant. Bought it at the same time as a Gardener's delight which is flourishing.

About a week ago this plan stopped growing and its leaves began to look as they do now.

Here and here.

My question to all you lovely gardeners; is this plan a lost cause? Should I just cut my losses and toss it out?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Arthog
    Arthog Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure why the leaves have curled, but the pot is rather small for a Beefsteak tomato. Can you re-plant it in the ground? If it is easier, cut the base out of the pot and put the whole thing in the ground.
    I'd give it plenty of water too. Are the blue bits on the soil a fertiliser? It's best to give fertiliser when the plant has flowered and the tiny tomatoes are visible.
    It's a sturdy plant - good luck!
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Too soon for blight, I'm thinking tomato curly top virus?

Anyhow, I'd bin it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It looks as if it has lost the growing point. The bit you've got tied into the cane is just a leaf.
  • Cliecost
    Cliecost Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    So is it a lost cause? Should I just toss it out?
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    give it a few days more, the side shoots will start to grow and can be trained up from there. It should fruit normally if fed and watered as usual.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    give it a few days more, the side shoots will start to grow and can be trained up from there. It should fruit normally if fed and watered as usual.

The leaves don't look too happy but I'd give it another chance as well.

It looks as if there may be shoot breaking through - look at the bottom of the 'V' made by the two leaf branches. That's where a new shoot will come from - just train it up the cane as if it was the main shoot.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I spray my toms with aspirin (soluble) in water it suppose to make toms grow better by simulating an attack on it so builds up some immunity against deceases and blight

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Boost-Your-Tomatoes-Defenses-with-Aspirin/
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    FWIW my beef steak toms [black Russian] are not happy this year, could be weather related? the cherry toms and bog standard are all fine
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am no expert but it looks like wind damage to me. I would just keep nurturing it and I am sure it will reward you for your efforts!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income