Pip eligibility

Options

Comments

• Ron2017
    Ron2017 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I rang ATOS yesterday and they told me i have an appointment booked for the 28th March, I still haven't received anything in the post.
    I asked them what i should bring to help prove that I'm unwell and explained I have e no diagnosis. They told me they only want to ask how my illness affects me and do not need to see medical evidence. I asked if they had already received that from my doctor and they told me they have no need to contact my doctor and will go off what i tell them. Does not sound right to me but there you go.
  • Ron2017
    Options
    :money:
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    It won't necessarily make you dizzy, mine knocked me unconscious within 9 minutes but it got the answers. A lot of doctors these days will go straight to LINQ or REVEAL devices and by-pass HUTT testing as it's seen as primitive but it gets the job done.

Saw my gp today and mentioned a tilt table test and was told there is no need of repeat it as it was negative before. I then told him that i never had one and when he rechecked it turns out I was right. No wonder I don't have a diagnosis yet :o
    But they are referring me again and also to the ent, I asked him why as surely my ear nose and throat would not cause all my symptoms. He said no but they might discover the cause of my dizziness, i said but surely they are all linked. He asked why i thoguht that and i said because they all started at the same time. I sometimes wonder why i bother lol.
    Thanks
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 March 2017 at 11:05PM
    Options
    Ron2017 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I rang ATOS yesterday and they told me i have an appointment booked for the 28th March, I still haven't received anything in the post.
    I asked them what i should bring to help prove that I'm unwell and explained I have e no diagnosis. They told me they only want to ask how my illness affects me and do not need to see medical evidence. I asked if they had already received that from my doctor and they told me they have no need to contact my doctor and will go off what i tell them. Does not sound right to me but there you go.
    They should be in receipt of completed PIP2 form and any evidence you've supplied.. but this case has been a bit of a mess. I'd take any copies of PIP2 form and your evidence to the assessment. Prepare as best you can with details of what problems you have with the various activities and have in mind the descriptors applicable. Try to get someone to go with you and in advance you might be able to agree with ATOS that they'll reimburse taxi fares (as opposed to standard reimburse of things like bus fare) if applicable. Good luck.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Ron2017
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I had my assessment today but couldn't tell you how it went. I was just very honest and upfront. I'm almost sure I won't be awarded it, but as I have said previously you wouldn't look at me and think I had anything wrong. I told them that depending on the day/time I can do most things that normal people can do even though I may pay for it later. I had the physical, which is nothing my neurologist has not done before and that was over in minutes. It's difficult to put across that if i was having a bad day I couldn't have even got there let alone done all that.
    They were quite thorough in asking me questions and also the trick questions as well. I asked them why they asked if i could use a phone/tablet and she said that would show i had good dexterity in my hands, which i have never claimed otherwise. She also told me the exact distance i had walked to get to her office lol.
    Anyone know how long it takes to hear from the DWP?
    Many thanks for all the help so far!
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 12:08AM
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I had my assessment today but couldn't tell you how it went. I was just very honest and upfront. I'm almost sure I won't be awarded it, but as I have said previously you wouldn't look at me and think I had anything wrong. I told them that depending on the day/time I can do most things that normal people can do even though I may pay for it later. I had the physical, which is nothing my neurologist has not done before and that was over in minutes. It's difficult to put across that if i was having a bad day I couldn't have even got there let alone done all that.
    They were quite thorough in asking me questions and also the trick questions as well. I asked them why they asked if i could use a phone/tablet and she said that would show i had good dexterity in my hands, which i have never claimed otherwise. She also told me the exact distance i had walked to get to her office lol.
    Anyone know how long it takes to hear from the DWP?
    Many thanks for all the help so far!
    I would expect a decision to be taken in weeks rather than days... but probably not that many weeks. What you could do in the meantime is tomorrow call the DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report.. the PA4 consultant report. That will tell you how the assessment went and will detail the descriptors (disabilities) that were deemed applicable. The DWP will likely use this report as their primary evidence in making a decision... and in many if not most cases their decision will replicate it. Give any updates here and people will no doubt offer advice.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • retro2016
    Options
    Look up vasovagal syncope on Wikipedia. There are a lot of variations on this, but it seems very difficult to get a diagnosis. I suffer from a similar condition that, although more frequent than you describe, seems very similar. It took almost 2 years to diagnose as in my case it was the brain function not working correctly, rather than a problem with the heart, and this is apparently very unusual. I did find, though, that cardiologists seem slightly more familiar than neurologists and a tilt table test is certainly the way to go to get them to take you seriously. I did get awarded DLA, though, once finally diagnosed as none of the available treatments worked in my case. I am now transitioning to PIP, which means more explanations to people who have never heard of this condition and tend to put the problems down to conditions they have heard of rather than do any research.

Good luck in any case.
  • Ron2017
    Options
    Hi everyone, i finally got my decision yesterday and as many of you predicted i was turned down. I was awarded 2 points for washing and bathing and 2 points for preparing meals. I was told I could use an aid to help with these things, even though they cannot tell me what that aid is.
    I was also awarded 4 points for the moving around.
    Any ideas where I go from here?
    Thanks again
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi everyone, i finally got my decision yesterday and as many of you predicted i was turned down. I was awarded 2 points for washing and bathing and 2 points for preparing meals. I was told I could use an aid to help with these things, even though they cannot tell me what that aid is.
    I was also awarded 4 points for the moving around.
    Any ideas where I go from here?
    Thanks again
    I'm sorry to hear that. You first step is to ask for a mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you only have 1 month from the date on the letter to get this in so be quick. You can ring them to start this off but then you'll need to put this in writing. Have you asked a for a copy of the assessment report? if not then it's a good idea to ring for a copy of this. Don't wait for this before doing the MR because time isn't on your hands. Did you send in any evidence to support your claim? Evidence is a vital part of the process!! Most MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to take it to Tribunal.

I'm sure others will be along to add to what i've already adviced. Good luck :)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As poppy says you have 30 days to get your MR in

Some more information here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/

Might be worth getting help from CAB or similar
  • Ron2017
    Options
    Hi Poppy, thanks for the reply.
    I already have a copy of the assessment and i asked for a mandatory reconsideration on the phone yesterday. I never sent in any evidence as I haven't really got any. All i could really provide is six years of hospital visits, appointments and tests etc
    I am going to send in a covering letter for my mandatory reconsideration, but I'm not sure if that will do any good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure