He to make and monetise an app

Options
I've got an idea for an app, free to users but getting money from businesses. I don't want to go to details here in case someone nicks the idea. Lol

How do I go about making an app? Do I have to learn how to develop one or do I get someone to do it for me?

thanks
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
[STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    I don't suggest going it alone - for anything nontrivial your looking at 5 figures veggie marketing. Best to find a company in the sector you're interested in and partner/see if they'll license the idea from you. TBH it is an uphill struggle
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    I've got an idea for an app, free to users but getting money from businesses. I don't want to go to details here in case someone nicks the idea. Lol

How do I go about making an app? Do I have to learn how to develop one or do I get someone to do it for me?

thanks

Say you needed a tooth extracted.
    Would you learn how to extract one yourself or would you get someone to do it for you?

Or say you wanted a brick wall built
    Would you learn how to build one yourself or would you get someone to do it for you?
  • brand68
    brand68 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Elise is asking the question I need an answer too only in my case the app is made and I need to know what steps I need to take to avoid being hijacked by some get rich quick IT shark. We both need to know the first step, is there somewhere we can go for honest impartial advice.
    Do we approach Google or Microsoft & can we do so without fear of being short-changed. It is a bigger step for me than Elise because my work is done and I have put a lot of hours in to make it. It is educational by the way so this may point the way I need to go.
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    You hire a developer. Obviously you'll want an NDA and non-compete clause to any that you explain the idea to. Presumably you want it developing for iOS as that's where the money is.

This is where you could easily drop up to £30,000 or more. A kid in his garage can create an app in his free time giving him a distinct advantage.

Before you hire a developer you might want to simplify your proposition down to a sentence or two. Note the core functionality, you want (the must haves), the supplemental functions (the nice to haves), and probably draw up some wireframes.

If the app needs data from businesses, and they don't have an api or some easy means to get hold of the data, you could save time by getting that in advance, or at least create a set of dummy data, so the developer has something to work with.

Once you have a solid proof of concept, you can then start looking at seed money and the like if need be.
  • brand68
    Options
    Thanks C-M for that advice I will have to sit and digest what you say but may i get back to you after.
  • rhysadams
    rhysadams Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Put your idea down in writing and speak to a good IP Lawyer to register the idea. An old way my Grandad used to copyright his books was to write down his ideas and then post 5 copies to himself. One for storage with the date of the postmark as his proof. It helped him once as he used to write jokes for tv shows, one day a joke got rejected but they still used it anyway - He sent an invoice in and eventually got paid.

Once the above is in place, then approach a few different app developers. Some may take your idea on board and for a revenue share, may build the app at a subsidised cost. I did something similar with a website.

Be careful when you go them, and try and give them an 'off piste" idea. However, at the beginning of the meeting explain that you have registered the idea.

Hope this all makes sense
  • Cogs44
    Cogs44 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure you can protect an app idea. As soon as you release it, if it's a good idea people will try to vary it slightly and release their own version.

If it's just a simple web app you may be able to do it yourself quite easily with wordpress and adapt an existing paid theme. If it's an iphone/ android app it's much harder to learn yourself.

If you are going to outsource it, you should put some effort in to at least understand the basics or it's hard to bargain on price.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,689 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

thanks
    Do you have any programming experience? You could have a look at Xcode/Swift tutorials on YouTube to get a feel for whether it is something you want to try yourself. Apple are doing all they can to make App development accessible to 'ordinary' people so it's worth looking into. There are also inexpensive courses on Udemy and other sites taking you from novice to pro.
  • brand68
    edited 3 April 2017 at 9:31PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your time & trouble in answering my post. I have learned a lot and it now depends on the paths I choose, hopefully I can come back with a successful story.
    No matter what the problem or what the question I always seem to find the answer here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure