IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court Claim

Options
First of all I apologise for leaving it so late to post this.

My daughter and her husband have a court claim letter after parking in a hospital car park and forgetting to pay. she has started the ball rolling and is now trying to form her defence. Unfortunately her 14 extra days are up on Sunday, she tried doing it herself but has now came to the conclusion that she needs help.

Basically she was in labour at 2am. It was an emergency at the time as she had had a difficult pregnancy. the husband took her to hospital and parked the car. His priority was to get her into the hospital and he forgot to get a ticket. After baby was born he went home but again forgot to get a ticket.

As I said, I know it is late in the day but would greatly appreciate any help anyone is able to give.

Thank you.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    start by reading post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread near the top of this forum

then acknowledge online to get the extra 14 days

then start to draft the defence that will be sent in to MCOL in about 14 to 16 days time

the name of the offending PPC will help in getting replies , plus details like which country , which hospital etc

and why has nobody complained to PALS or the trust to get it cancelled ?

ps:- only ONE person has a court claim, the keeper due to the fact the VRM is in their name , the other person is not named on the paperwork at all
  • scooter912
    scooter912 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have read all of the newbies post.
    They had already acknowledged online to get extra 14 days, as I said, those days are up on Sunday.
    It was Parking Eye, South Tyneside District Hospital.
    They didn't complain to PALS as they didn't know they could help. The initial appeal was done to Parking Eye but then they didn't do the POPLA one. It is in the husbands name
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 May 2017 at 6:29PM
    Options
    This one should help:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72382136#post72382136

That includes a defence to adapt, and shows the person also rattling PALS cage.

What a shame no-one complained earlier.

I really can't understand why people don't and why they often say 'I didn't know I could'. Whaaat?

If a NHS cleaning contractor tried to stop patients/husbands/ladies in labour, in the corridor who were attending for a medical emergency, and film them and charge them £100 for walking on a crack in the tiling, you'd complain and be mad about the scam. Why not with this?

Rhetorical question but it's partly the inaction of people in this country who do not complain enough, that allows this industry to thrive and sue people. It is wrong and it's against the NHS Car Parking Principles as shown in that linked thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • scooter912
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a query that has bothered me and after reading that link I am not sure if it matters. The 14 extra days given ends on a Sunday. As that is not a working day does that mean it effectively ends today?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    She has up to 33 days (max) from the date on the claim form.
  • scooter912
    Options
    sorry, irrelevant post, I noticed what I had done.
  • scooter912
    Options
    My daughter has now received a "Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track".

It mentions a mediation service. Is that the best road to go down? Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You do not want the mediation service - refuse it

You need to edit your OP to remove details of who was driving
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 July 2017 at 6:34PM
    Options
    scooter912 wrote: »
    My daughter has now received a "Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track".

It mentions a mediation service. Is that the best road to go down? Any advice greatly appreciated.

YOU (or her) should read post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread

BARGEPOLE wrote a comprehensive explanation to all of this , so by asking the question you have proved you have not read his wise words, and possibly not read post #2 of the NEWBIES thread either

my point ?

we expect members to read the info first, then get help about anything further , not to ask stuff that is already explained
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    scooter912 wrote: »

All stages are covered in post#2 of the NEWBIES thread, including (in a post by bargepole) why NOT to try mediation.

You do need to be ahead and expecting each stage/letter, and know what to do/not do, in advance of receiving it, which is what the NEWBIES thread intends to provide.

Most posters need help only at Witness Statement/evidence (and skeleton argument) stage, a few weeks before their hearing date. So do come back to show us the Defendant's proposed WS and evidence beforehand, so we can assist and suggest extra cases and evidence.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure