HSBC Cheque Imaging

Options
Hi. Has anyone used this yet?

I paid a cheque in yesterday, just after the 3.30 deadline, after I’d asked the customer services guy about clearance times. He assured me that the money would be in my account at some point on Saturday, however the cheque isn’t even showing as posted to my account. I rang up and they said they couldn’t see it.

I’m really worried now as I would have taken the cheque to the money shop and cashed it as I need the money to pay for something tomorrow. Has anyone else used this service that might be able to help?

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would imagine even a cheque using imaging would follow the normal process of it being posted to the account overnight as most transactions are.

But HSBC say “This means you will be able to access your funds within two working days instead of six“ so I’m not sure why you were told it would clear on a Saturday.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If you paid in after their 3.30 deadline the cheque may well show in your account by Monday (as the next business day) but IMO will not be cleared for you to use until next friday (2-4-6 rules)
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 9 December 2017 at 4:11PM
    Options
    I'd say you missed the deadline, and Saturday is not a working day in banking.
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/ways-to-bank/cheque-deposit

As the Cashier was familiar with Cheque Imaging I'd guess your branch does offer it so the 2-4-6 time scale will not apply.

So Monday you should see the cheque in your account, and the funds should be available by the end of Tuesday.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With cheque imaging you no longer see cheques on your account when they're paid in, you will only see them when they've cleared. This is explained in HSBC's website, but not prominently. So if you've missed the deadline on Friday, the cheque won't show on your account until Tuesday.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/ways-to-bank/cheque-deposit/more-details
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure