Best way to meet children's university costs; savings/investments, salary ...?

I have a while to sort this out but as I have 4 children I think I should have a strategy sooner or later, and have read a number of forum members saying their children's university years were a hard time financially.

If my eldest started straight after 6th form this would be in exactly 10 years, then 1 in 11 years, 1 in 14 years and 1 in 16 years. (Timescales given in case investments are recommended).

Would it be better to:

1) save for ourselves and our retirement now, then pause all of that (relying on its compounding) during those years and attempt to find fees and maintenance from

2) save/invest for both goals now but in different products because the timelines are different (although hopefully OH could retire in 17 years, so it's close to the end of the university window)

3) something else I haven't thought of/not really think about it until later.

Thanks
Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 September 2017 at 2:17PM
    Yup sounds like you have some expensive years ahead.

I don't have 4 dependants but am investing for retirement in parallel to investing to provide my son with early life help (around half university costs and half the house deposit) which he will need in between 15 to 25 years time. I am using a JISA and my LISA respectively as the dates match up well. If they keep LISAs going long enough there might also be leftovers to enable me to feed our pensions while retired until my wife's LISA becomes available to continue feeding the pensions.

Have you considered opening four Orbis Access junior ISAs? If you act quickly they have an offer to match the first £100 contributed in each account (so a £400 starter bonus) and run any investments made in the first 12 months in no-fee units 18yrs. Given their age I would consider the Orbis Balanced fund which uses equity hedging (rather than bonds so you don't have so much interest rate risk) to control volatility. It's nice and easy and you can do it with just 1 adult login.

Orbis have an alternative strategy to most managers and over long enough periods for meaningful comparison have delivered above benchmark returns since the late 80s. If you buy normal units after 12 months they will be on an entirely performance fee structure where they even refund when they have done worse than average. They only cover their admin costs when they outperform.

Alternatively for a more mainstream and passive approach how about four Vanguard JISA using a Target Retirement fund matched to when they will each be 18? I know they are not retiring but the principle of reducing volatility as the withdrawal date approaches is the same. In this case there is not much advantage of using Junior ISAs over your ISAs.

My son is younger so I am using the Orbis Global Equity fund for the first 8 years then probably switching to Vanguard (hopefully after the medium term risks to bonds has passed) to dial down the volatility. Unfortunately you cannot switch between the two funds in Orbis after 12 months without loosing the fee-free status on those early contributions. However for you if you start with the Balanced Fund this might not be an issue. You can always transfer to Vanguard after the first year without loosing the bonus.

Good luck
    Alex.
  • IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Whatever you decide to do, I'd definitely recommend to keep the accounts in your name - you can divvy the money out as necessary to take account of needs, and it reduces the potential temptations to buy the latest must-have if the accounts have been passed across when they get to 18 etc.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd start by doing a cash-flow projection of the years from beginning to end to see where the greatest outgoings are likely to be. They might not quite overlap, but you might have a year or two with three to support at once! :eek:

You can then calculate what the shortfall that needs to be met is and how that might fit into all the other financial aspects of life.

In my case, I am now over the worst of the outgoings, although costs seem to have risen greatly across the support years. The net effect has been to delay my early retirement plans, so I do wish I had been more organised back at the stage you are at!
  • I would recommend that you read this article by Martin before you commit to paying their fees/living costs for them. It's made us think differently about what we're going to do.

Basically, many graduates will never pay back their student loan so to pay the fees up front is a false economy. It could be completely wasted money that would have been better spent helping them to buy a house or something.

That said, the whole system may have changed in ten years.
  • Alexland
    edited 23 September 2017 at 1:08PM
    But the student loan will only cover a proportion of the costs so some students end up in the private loan, bank overdraft, credit card, etc markets where the lenders are systematically and brutally farming the young for profit.

I agree it doesn't make sense to cover the whole cost so if you have enough hold some back to help with weddings, house deposit, etc. My plan is to provide help but not deny the child the achievement of contributing themselves and completing the job.
  • Alexland wrote: »
    But the student loan will only cover a proportion of the costs so some students end up in the private loan, bank overdraft, credit card, etc markets where the lenders are systematically and brutally farming the young for profit.

I agree it doesn't make sense to cover the whole cost so if you have enough hold some back to help with weddings, house deposit, etc. My plan is to provide help but not deny the child the achievement of contributing themselves and completing the job.

Oh yes, completely agreed. There will be some contribution necessary for living costs, just don't assume that paying tuition fees is the best plan.

Or, pump loads of time and cash into some kind of sport/music thing for them now and plan for a scholarship! (joke)
  • Thanks all.

I did find Martin's article interesting, and planned to only give them the shortfall between what our means testing deducted from their full loan. I then made a worst case scenario of length of course for each of them and ended up with a total :eek: £90k.

By reducing our pensions and savings I think we can meet most of the years of overlap from salary, but there are theoretically 4 overlap years of all 4 of them which would be eye-watering.

I was planning to keep this in our names, as I was seeing it as our responsibility to meet the shortfall.

However they are each going to shortly inherit £2k, which I plan to invest in JISAs and they can then draw from this for Uni, should they wish to.

I've discussed investments and risk and the split between equities and bonds with my 8 and 7 year olds and they claim they have a risk appetite over a 10 year window of something like a VLS60, which was interesting to note.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Alexland
    edited 23 September 2017 at 2:33PM
    The Orbis Balanced fund is closer to VLS80 in equity exposure but I really like that it uses equity hedging (a counter-bet on stock market performance). Bonds are looking at a pretty high risk of permanent capital loss if interest rates start rising. If anything worth doing Orbis to get the free £400 and £2ks invested during the first 12 months (not sure if you know when the inheritance is due?) with no fees until they are 18.

You could put some of the money into a cash JISA (they are allowed one of each JISA types) or 123 mini account to get the equities exposure in their total net worth down to 60%?

If using you ISAs for the remainder there are some pretty good TopCashBack deals for opening Moneyfarm ISAs with up to £200 bonus per account available (so there's another £400 if you and your partner opened accounts and paid in £900 per month via DD for 3 months) They don't charge a fee under 10k so you only pay the 0.30% ETF fees and you can transfer out with no fee. For any higher value account balance then look to transfer to Vanguard.

Anyway that the first £800 towards your £90k target so we are nearly 1% there with free money.

Ps if you have already opened ISA accounts this year Moneyfarm are also offering the TopCashBack on general accounts offering the same profile options. You may wish to withdraw after the bonus has paid to put the money into your ISA.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Do not rule out the Junior Sipp. It is never too soon to start saving for a pension !
    J_B.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    i put 3 thru university, 2 since the higher costs (the eldest at 3K Pa).

I saved in investments like isas, I used investment trusts and saved monthly. I used these pots to pay fixed costs including housing.

I then paid for monthly costs of living/eating etc using income. About 50-55 per week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure