PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

neighbor garage asbestos

Options
2»

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Corrugated asbestos cement sheets were the preferred roofing material for garages for many decades and there must be millions of them still out there.

In the words of Lance Corporal Jack Jones the butcher and also the advice of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -DON'T PANIC
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mufasa wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's asbestos, I'm not an expert, the garage is old I've seen in the past some asbestos roofs and this would seem like asbestos,do you know if there is somebody i can call ?

There's probably some treatment you can get for your irrational anxiety but the NHS is overstressed these days so please go private..
  • mufasa
    mufasa Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    there was just i've seen it for the first time i moved into house
  • mufasa
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    This ancient garage was not there when the house was purchased ?

there was just i've seen it for the first time i moved into house
  • mufasa
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    I don't understand why your wife is worried and wanting to move. Does she think the roof is going to detach itself in the night and crawl through your window and give her asbestosis?

And, no, you can't hire someone to trespass on your neighbours property and take samples of his garage roof. Leave it alone. It doesn't belong to you. It isn't doing you any harm.

he can't just have a look from outside
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hopefully the neighbour doesn't keep matches in the house as this is also a huge risk.
    Pants
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    mufasa wrote: »
    he can't just have a look from outside
    No. Building materials aren't made from pure asbestos - they're made from material with asbestos incorporated into it. There is no visual difference between a concrete sheet roof with asbestos and one without, so the only way to know is to take samples.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect the neighbour is using the asbestos as a way of dissuading people from investigating the contents of said garage. Possibly massive glass vials of Vx nerve agent placed precariously on a wobbly shelf, or perhaps a chained up crazed mutant who every day yanks those restraining bolts a little further out from the decaying wall.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother selling up, just get the hell out of there.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nothing wrong with an asbestos roof! Just don't send your kids up there with hammers and chisel to play with it. Can I claim a prize for saving you some huge selling and moving fees?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I once had people pull out of buying a house because of the 'campsite' opposite.

The campsite was allotments. And they were definitely there when they viewed. And there were no tents.

Completely OT, but nearly as ridiculous.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure