Strange people

Options
Sold an item on ebay - collection only. Heard nothing from buyer for over a week so contacted them asking when they were picking said item up. They claimed they never bid on it as they do not drive! They actually did pay for it through pay pal. What do I do now?

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    open a case http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html. the buyer will get a strike and you will be allowed to relist the item
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It`s been paid for, says so in the OP.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,295 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    merrydance wrote: »
    Sold an item on ebay - collection only. Heard nothing from buyer for over a week so contacted them asking when they were picking said item up. They claimed they never bid on it as they do not drive! They actually did pay for it through pay pal. What do I do now?

Realistically all you can do is ask them to conform via ebay messages that they want to cancel the sale, then cancel using the option 'buyer requested' and refund them. If you keep the money they only need to open an INR to get it back, and if they do collect they can still claim INR and get their money back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • merrydance
    merrydance Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Messaged her again, she insists she has not bid on this, or paid me anything, but I've checked it over again and again and she has!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Messaged her again, she insists she has not bid on this, or paid me anything, but I've checked it over again and again and she has!

If you refund you are likely to get a defect as the buyer hasn't asked to cancel. If it were me, I would keep hold of the funds until the buyer (whoever they are) claims INR. Then you can refund it without issue.
  • merrydance
    Options
    She insists that she has not bid on this item or paid me anything, but I've checked over and over and she has through paypal. I think she didn't realise it was "Collection Only". As I live down South and she lives up North, it's a long way to come. Why she doesn't just say this, and I will refund her and list again, I've no idea!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She insists that she has not bid on this item or paid me anything, but I've checked over and over and she has through paypal. I think she didn't realise it was "Collection Only". As I live down South and she lives up North, it's a long way to come. Why she doesn't just say this, and I will refund her and list again, I've no idea!

She will realise when she sees her bank/card statement.

Send her a screenshot of the transaction. Or ignore her until she files a claim. You've tried. I wouldn't be wasting too much time on it, just don't spend the funds.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    She probably wants you to cancel it in order for her to stay in the clear rather than admit the mistake.

As above. Leave it and wait for her to claim back. Just dont spend the money.

Was it a high value item?
  • merrydance
    Options
    No it was only £5 - just don't understand why she paid it.
  • merrydance
    edited 19 June 2017 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Just received an email, well she has now decided she did bid and win, and pay. I will cancel and refund her. "People are strange"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure