Money Moral Dilemma: Should we split the bedbug refund?

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I recently stayed with five friends in an Airbnb in America for three days. The total per person was roughly $200. One couple stayed in a room that had bedbugs, and were severely bitten, while the rest of us were spared. The owner was extremely apologetic and gave a full refund (minus a cleaning fee). Knowing that four of us had a normal stay, and only two were bitten by bedbugs, should the refund be shared between all of us, or just the two who were bitten?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• cupboardie
    cupboardie Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I think they should get the whole refund as it's only due to their misfortune that you got it, but as you stayed as a group you should take a vote.

I hope everyone would agree the poor guys who got bitten and from the sound of it had their enjoyment impacted sound be compensated.
  • AnneMary
    AnneMary Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2017 at 7:10AM
    Options
    From your information the couple who were bitten would've paid $400 for the accommodation. If they get all the refund they will be paid $600 compensation and free accommodation. The other three people will have paid as expected for the holiday.

Is this fair? I don't know how much being "severely bitten by bedbugs" would affect their enjoyment of the holiday overall. I have had mosquito bites on holiday and although they were a pain, I can't say they ruined the holiday for me.

How about a compromise? $100 for the three not bitten so they get half price holiday accommodation. And the rest to the couple so they didn't pay for the accommodation and get $300 compensation.

What is most important is that everyone is happy with the deal. You don't want to lose friendships over this and if someone thinks it is "not fair" it will always be remembered and sour the friendship.
  • wendy.rennie
    Options
    I personally don't feel that it should be split as the refund was for the room that had the bed bugs and your friends were obviously the ones that suffered. I have stayed in accommodation were I was bitten by carpet mites and it ruined my stay as I couldn't stop itching ,and would have been quite upset if my friends expected to share the refund considering it was only myself that it impacted on.
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would give them their full refund ($400), you guys shoulder the cleaning fee and maybe pay for them to have a nice night away somewhere else, or take them to dinner?
  • doctorblunkett
    Options
    the four that had the normal stay should not, under any circumstances, get any of the money.

the money was paid because of the two that were bitten. they get all of the money. no question at all
  • bizywizy
    bizywizy Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they should get the full refund.

the others should have rest of money shared as they had their holiday disrupted by the hassle of their friends room.

The owner has chosen to refund them all (minus the cleaning cost) so recognises this.

The money could then be put towards another joint holiday where they will hopefully enjoy themselves properly without the negative impact.
    Eleventh Heaven no 710 - we can all dream
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why did your party get changed a 'cleaning fee'?
    Did they make a mess of the place?

Surely you didn't get charged for the removal of the bed bugs!
    (Or did the owner think that the affected couple had actually brought along the bed bugs with them?)
  • l_jane
    Options
    We ended up getting bedbugs after a stay in Venice of all places - without getting bitten at the actual place.

Once they were in, I still didn't get bitten - my boyfriend did - so don't assume you haven't got them. If you can see them, they're there.

If you've managed to deal with it without bringing them home, then, yes absolutely they should keep the money.

If you've had to take steps to deal with them though (upwards of £250 to fumigate) then, I'd suggest they split it.

I hope this helps and good luck.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Severely bitten? How horrible! The itch of the odd mozzie bite drives me nuts, I scratch until I bleed even though I know I shouldn't, I always travel with Savlon, so this dilemma fills me with horror. Poor people who got the bad room!! How awful!! Refund all their money immediately and any expenses for chemist or medical supplies, then use the rest to take the whole group of six out for a nice meal. Do not use the refund to compensate the non-sufferers as this would surely infuriate the unfortunate pair, but use the remainder after they've been reimbursed on a group outing to end the holiday on a good note.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Why did your party get changed a 'cleaning fee'?
    Did they make a mess of the place?

Surely you didn't get charged for the removal of the bed bugs!
    (Or did the owner think that the affected couple had actually brought along the bed bugs with them?)

A cleaning fee seems to be becoming standard with rental properties, I find it frustrating to find a suitable place at a decent price only to get all the way through the booking process then discover all sorts of add-on fees. Wish it was made clear upfront, or the owners do like the place we've stayed in Margate - Dreamland Lets - which only charges a cleaning fee if you leave it dirty. We always leave our rentals clean and tidy and resent a cleaning fee coz we think it should be part of the rental cost, after all hotels don't charge. We've never been charged by Dreamland Lets so keep going back there! Maybe if we all boycott the places with cleaning charges, they'll get the message!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure