Maximising mileage

Options
Hi

I am now doing high mileage for work.

What’s the best way to earn money/rewards for buying fuel?

Thanks!!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get someone else to pay for it. Cashback cards?

I used to fill up on the Motorway, £1 MOTO voucher for every 100L of fuel, when your using 90L+ a day and a 400L+ fill it soon built up.

Easily earn to enough to buy food for 3 families at the services on our yearly trek to Cornwall.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lee0329 wrote: »
    Hi

I am now doing high mileage for work.

What’s the best way to earn money/rewards for buying fuel?

Thanks!!

Learn to drive more economically. Most people could improve their fuel consumption significantly by applying a few fairly simple rules. You'll probably save far more than faffing about with offers.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above. The differences in fuel consumption can be as much as 20% just by changing how you drive and no it doesn't mean driving slowly, in fact on the economical driving course I did you had to reduce the time it took you to do a set route at the start of the course in order to pass. Not only did you have to use less fuel but also do fewer gearchanges and do the route quicker.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to fill up on the Motorway, £1 MOTO voucher for every 100L of fuel, when your using 90L+ a day and a 400L+ fill it soon built up.

Unless somebody else is paying, or even if they are, paying £20-£25 extra for fuel on the motorway just to get a £1 voucher seems pretty poor value
  • barnaclebill
    Options
    In the late 80's I had a company car and filled up at a local Esso that gave tokens for gifts, after three years the scheme ended and the best gift I could get with my tokens was a Braun alarm clock with motion sensor. Not long after I changed jobs and returned the car with 73,000 on the clock so it was a lot of tokens for an alarm clock (which still works)
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    As above. The differences in fuel consumption can be as much as 20% just by changing how you drive and no it doesn't mean driving slowly, in fact on the economical driving course I did you had to reduce the time it took you to do a set route at the start of the course in order to pass. Not only did you have to use less fuel but also do fewer gearchanges and do the route quicker.

Interesting that, about fewer gear changes. How does that fit in with the current trend for 8 or more gear automatics when they used to get by with just 5?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    Interesting that, about fewer gear changes. How does that fit in with the current trend for 8 or more gear automatics when they used to get by with just 5?

You did the initial and final run in the same vehicle so that was the way it was measured. It is an indicator of you using planning and preparation to save fuel.

Take for example a roundabout. Approach it and timing your approach so you arrive at the give way line without having to stop and you do fewer gear changes, use less fuel and get round it much quicker than arriving at the give way or rear of vehicles waiting to join, coming to a stop and then navigating the roundabout from a standing start.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

By making sure you're in the right gear at the right time. Its not the changing gear that uses excess fuel, its being in the wrong gear.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 December 2017 at 3:52PM
    Options

It's not too long back autos were only 3 or 4-speed ;) Parents had an early-70's vauxhall victor auto, that was certainly under 5.

edit - yes, just found the wiki page, it was only 3 forward gears :D
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 4:34PM
    Options
    I buy most of my fuel at Morrisons and use their loyalty card for fuel and food shopping and always pay with a reward credit card, clearing the balance each month.

By far the biggest payback I have had was altering my driving style to be as smooth as possible avoiding hard braking and acceleration.

Some time ago now our work petrol allowance failed to keep up with rising prices. I stopped zooming about, lost a lot of stress and after a while got back in profit to the tune of 50-80 extra miles a tank.

I filled the tank to the brim each time, noted the mileage and did a small spreadsheet for a while to track my progress. Now I have a trip computer in the car I just keep the receipts and work out p/mlle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure