Have ebay disabled the seller search filters?

Options
Just tried to search for an item on ebay, I wanted to filter by private sellers only but all the options in the seller menu are greyed out. Is this an ebay 'improvement' or just me doing something wrong?

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It works for me. Is it an item with not many sellers? There may only be business sellers that are selling it. Did you click on the square box next to the option before selecting private, as it stays greyed out til you do?

Also out of interest why only private sellers not business? Normally it is the other way round.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    It works for me. Is it an item with not many sellers? There may only be business sellers that are selling it. Did you click on the square box next to the option before selecting private, as it stays greyed out til you do?

I've tried 2 ways, first by clicking 'advanced search' where the option to select seller type isn't listed at all, the second way is to enter my search term from the ebay front page then click 'more refinements' on the left hand margin. The seller menu here lists options for selecting specific named sellers, sellers with shops and business/private but all are greyed out and can't be selected. All the other menus seem to be accessible.
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Also out of interest why only private sellers not business? Normally it is the other way round.

I'm searching for an IKEA drawer unit from a range that's been deleted for over 5 years, highly unlikely a business seller would be selling one and because a private seller wouldn't necessarily know the name of the range I need to keep the keywords fairly generic resulting in over 2000 hits. I would probably lose about 3/4 of those if I could select private listings only. Also the best chance of finding a real bargain on ebay is by browsing for badly described items which are invariably listed by private sellers, I've picked up quite a few incredibly cheap items over the years in this way.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Just found a work around:

Keyword search > click 'more refinements' > select another search option (click and collect works) > 'apply' > 'more refinements' again > seller options are now enabled so can select private seller > de-select 'click and collect'

Maybe a bug with ebay rather than a deliberate change in that case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure