Voluntary Severance Notice Period

Options
Hi, I am considering to take the offer of voluntary severance at work but not sure what is the notice period for this.
I have been working at my work for the last 20 months, so the employment contract says it is 4 weeks notice (less than 2 years service) but some websites tells me the notice period for VS for this length of service is 1 week?
Please could you advise so that I can decide when to contact my boss & HR with my letter for taking VS. Thanks.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    In voluntary severance, it is subject to mutual agreement - voluntary redundancy doesn't exist in law, so whatever you mutually agree is what happens. The notice is usually the contractual notice, but it doesn't have to be. And you can be required to work it. But what benefit would you get in taking voluntary redundancy with only 20 months service. There's no legal entitlement to redundancy pay, and they aren't likely to be offering you much, if anything. If less than two years, it would be easier for them to just sack you.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    usually you get to express an interest and see what they will offer you, then you decide if you want to pursue it and they decide if they will let you. You might get something even with 20 months service if they are looking for volunteers. My employer did a VS offer a couple of years ago and the minimum payment was three months salary so people who had been there less than a few years got a good deal.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Soup wrote: »
    usually you get to express an interest and see what they will offer you, then you decide if you want to pursue it and they decide if they will let you. You might get something even with 20 months service if they are looking for volunteers. My employer did a VS offer a couple of years ago and the minimum payment was three months salary so people who had been there less than a few years got a good deal.

You might do but that would be totally a goodwill gesture on the part of the employer. Legally they could simply dismiss just by giving a week's notice unless the contract specifies more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure