Building a website

Options
Evening all

Does anybody have experience of this? I a looking to create a passive income stream that I can build upon. I know there will be a lot of work involved but I am using a topic that I love and know a lot about so that should help.

Planning to self host a wordpress style website and looking for any tips/advice from people who have already done this.

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a search in this section of the forum using the word "blogging" - I was going to link to a few of the threads but there's more than I thought. Quite a long one about blogging for a second income, among many others.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here is a post that might be of interest: http://blog.themoneyshed.co.uk/free-hosting-vs-paid-hosting/

Personally I have paid hosting and definitely recommend it.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Thanks both,

Katy, do you use a self hosted word press? The format looks familiar as one of their templates.
  • shmeeko69
    shmeeko69 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

Does anybody have experience of this? I a looking to create a passive income stream that I can build upon. I know there will be a lot of work involved but I am using a topic that I love and know a lot about so that should help.

Planning to self host a wordpress style website and looking for any tips/advice from people who have already done this.

I have a mixture of Wordpress themed sites and the good thing about them is that, you don't have to do much manual updating which is good with regards all the recent Google updates about being mobile friendly and enjoying favourable ranking.

As for monetisation, you could try and promote related items (as an affiliate) from the Amazon marketplace and/or get involved with Adsense program and stick a few ads on your blog/site?
    Lao Tzu - "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime"

Derek Bok - "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

What do you mean by "self host"? Normally this would mean setting up your own server at home and running it on your computer. In which case, dont.

For a start this is normally a breach of your ISPs T&Cs so can get you cut off.

Secondly, professional web hosts have professional solutions so your website is much more resilient. A former client, one of the largest consumer insurers, had a website outage of just 5 minutes once and despite the millions they spend on web advertising it hammered them for weeks as it happened as the search engine spiders were crawling the site and all of a sudden vast amounts of the site was reported as gone and so lost rankings. Without (a) millions to spend and (b) the ability to directly contact relevant people in the likes of Google then a similar issue for you can take months to resolve.

You can get straight forward hosting for a reasonable sum and it will repay itself in time.
  • uptomyeyeballs
    Options
    If you want to run Wordpress, don't use Worpress.com to host it, buy some hosting elsewhere and set up Wordpress in that hosted space. It's much more flexible that way.

I have a long term relationship with Vidahost, who are excellent for back up and service, and if you want to have several websitess running at the same time, buy a 'reseller' account, it'll be much cheaper. I have a reseller account with space for 50 websites and pay only £20 per month.

PM me if you need any advice.
  • mickaveli2001
    mickaveli2001 Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    Options
    I used WIX, which is very modern, easy to use and edit with plenty of 'good' templates. I have been with companies in the past with generic templates I've seen 100 times already.

You pay around £10 a month, but depending on your business, it may be worthwhile
  • TheAdvantageGambler
    Options
    Evening all

Given the price of hosting I'd have thought self hosting is more hastle and cost than it's worth.

You might find it useful to check out pay flynns smartpassiveincome.com he's one of the most we'll known of the Internet marketers sharing tricks to generate 'passive' income
  • uptomyeyeballs
    uptomyeyeballs Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    I run several Wordpress sites and they are very flexible. There are thousands of plugins and themes to choose from and Wordpress is Google friendly as you can pick a mobile compatible theme without too much hassle. Install the Woo Commerce plug in and you can sell on your website with a shop, including support for digital product delivery (eBooks, software). Click bank affiliation is easy to set up too, so you can promote for passive income.
  • lIKA
    lIKA Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Have you ever checked Amazon Affiliate.club? It helped me greatly to start business with Amazon. I learned how to build and promote Amazon affiliate sites. Amazon.com is the leading online store. It’s amazing just how many different products are on Amazon when you start researching products for your affiliate program. So, you can try it too!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure