Making Small Changes to Create A Big Difference

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Yukkibear, glad I found your new diary. Hope the news on the 1st isn't what you fear. I think OP's are hard at the moment, life generally seems to be incredibly expensive. Big holiday sounds fab though and something to look forward to.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well some big news, and more big news from me today. Two big life changing things are happening in the next few months, and whilst I should be a little terrified, I am excited and looking forward to a change in direction and speed of life.

- I will no longer be employed, but self employed laying out my own destiny from August.
    - We are welcoming a four legged friend into our house around the same time.

Budgets have been created, and I am hoping there will still be plenty of opportunity to OP the mortgage, albeit in perhaps smaller chunks for a while.
  • yukkibear
    Options
    Well here we are two months later. Life is *I think* starting to take it's new shape. Lots has been happening over the last eight weeks.

- We've had a massive holiday to Disney World
    - I am now self employed rather than employed.
    - We have a four legged addition to the home.

The budgets have been set and I've been monitoring them for the last couple of months. I can see trends already where the budget has been set too low / high and where we are over spending etc.

I know already that overpayments will be smaller, but that to achieve the dream then every effort needs to be put into living the life and saving where we can.

I have started entering competitions again, and my eye is firmly on the ball for bargains and deals to be found.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It sounds like an eventful time, but all good:)

In the last few days I've been doing competitions. I've quickly found out that mass competition entries are quite hard work, so I think I'll probably just do a few from time to time when I'm in the right mood.

A few years ago when I did some comps I did have the odd win, so it is worth doing, if it's something that you enjoy
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey Yukkibear - just stopped by to have a read of your thread.

What sort of 4 legged friend is the new family member?

All op's are good whether big or small ;) so don't be too hard on yourself.

BW
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi yukkibear, just spotted your new diary and wanted to wish you luck, I have to ask though what type of pet did you get? :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • yukkibear
    Options
    We've got a Black Labrador, she's so lovely. Mad, but lovely :D
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Options
    Hi YB!

Best of luck on your goals, I am very determined just not sure we have the funds to do what we want to do.

Hope you had a fab holiday!
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi YB, hope the holiday was as fab as it sounds. God luck with self-employment, hopefully you can have that work-life balance. Remember, all OP's make a difference and that is money you NEVER have to pay interest on again!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • yukkibear
    Options
    The electric and gas came in £44 under budget for July, so have sent that as an OP today.

Did the food shopping and Morri's were giving out packets of Disney playing cards for a spend over £40. DD wasn't looking so that's in the present box to start the stocking bits and pieces.

Oh and I won a bbq :j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport