Santander 123 Lite offers 5% cashback on mobile payments

Options

Comments

• faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Having re-read the Santander Lite conditions, there is a clause in there allowing them to change the conditions! But could transferring money to a Monzo Card be classed as a purchase or service?

Credit card transactions are classified as either purchases or cash transactions but I don't know whether there's such a distinction with debit card transactions?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    Credit card transactions are classified as either purchases or cash transactions but I don't know whether there's such a distinction with debit card transactions?

There is but there may be anomalies between providers.

For debit cards then cash transactions would actually be wider to include financial transactions to other banks or investments to exclude gaming such rewards. These are often limited but tesco for example would give clubcard reward points on even very large transactions such as a car purchase. They wouldn't for a transfer of money to purchase investment funds for example.
  • faddy
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    There is but there may be anomalies between providers.

For debit cards then cash transactions would actually be wider to include financial transactions to other banks or investments to exclude gaming such rewards. These are often limited but tesco for example would give clubcard reward points on even very large transactions such as a car purchase. They wouldn't for a transfer of money to purchase investment funds for example.

Santander have confirmed that my use of my debit card to load Revolut via Android Pay was classed as "quasi cash" (which surprised me a little as my Revolut top-ups from three different CCs - I don't have a Santander CC - were all classed as purchases).

I you draw "cashback" at a supermarket checkout is that seen by the bank as part of the purchase (and so should attract the 123 Lite cashback) or as a separate transaction)?
  • batrachophagus
    Options
    I tried to buy a car with Santander account Apple Pay on Saturday. On the dealer side, they had capped it at £650 for some unknown reason, so tried putting through several transactions. It capped out at 3 transactions, and despite confirming they were my transactions to the automated fraud check from Santander, I couldn't get any more transactions through. Paid the remainder with debit card, so potentially only got cash-back on a small proportion of total.

If I had the chance again, I would have called the dealer in advance to see what limit they had, and tried to get them to increase it. I didn't know they could have an arbitrary limit though, I thought it was either £30 or unlimited....
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Topped up both Monzo and Starling today via Apple Pay, so its a waiting game to see if they honour it

Both payments show on statement as (via Apple pay) Monzo -£300.
    so as long as it has the via apple pay link it should pay out.

I will be using the card abroad when I next go, so will be able to get the funds off the card.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • faddy
    Options
    I you draw "cashback" at a supermarket checkout is that seen by the bank as part of the purchase (and so should attract the 123 Lite cashback) or as a separate transaction)?

Got no replies to this before so I'll try again. Anyone know?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got no replies to this before so I'll try again. Anyone know?

Give it a go and report back.
  • faddy
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Give it a go and report back.

So I tried for cashback in Sainsbury's last night and the option to pay by contactless was removed from the terminal (green light off, "insert or swipe card" displayed). Got them to cancel the cashback request and put my shooping through again and was able to pay contactless so presumably not an issue with that terminal.

I'm guessing this is so that they can check you're using a debit, not a credit, card before taking payment. (Alternatively it's because the total was over £30, but Sainsbury's have told me that they've removed the £30 limit for phone payments, so seems unlikely)
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    On another tack, can both holders of a joint Santander 1-2-3 lite account have a 5% regular saver or only one of them?
    This is another question which didn't get an answer in the summer.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is another question which didn't get an answer in the summer.

Both parties can hold one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport