Teenage Boy Presents.....help!

Options
Flowfy
Flowfy Posts: 148 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,

I have a son (age 17) - and I really am at a loss to what to get him.

We tend to spend half the money on what he asks for and half on surprises.

I actually can't think of one this year.

So I could really do with your expert opinions.

Stuff about him.

He isn't into football or sports.
He is studying to be a musician (orchestral)
He plays computer games (PC not xbox or playstation)world of warcraft mainly
He watches his weight (so no chocs)
We usually have a trip to the sales on Boxing Day and he picks an aftershave.

He has a shaver, tv, a nice phone, a tablet, headphones and good mouse for the PC, due to past presents for Birthday and Christmas's

He is is the last year of his A levels. Currently auditioning at Music Conservatoires for next year starting at Uni. I don't know if we could get him something for that.

I really don't know what to get, and neither can his dad and sister.

I wonder if you have any ideas. xx

Comments

• cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Driving lessons
  • Haribo1
    Options
    Steam card from game? That's what I've got for my 14 year old
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Music stand

Tickets for something - concert, theatre, etc

Cineworld Unlimited if he enjoys the cinema

Possibly some music themed mugs or something along those lines for uni
  • welshbookworm
    Options
    Easy cook book? (ready for uni/ leaving home)
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What instrument does he play? Its very likely that during his 1st year at uni he will need to purchase a higher quality instrument than the one he learned on.

Hows his sense of humour? I'm pretty hard to buy for, so I really like silly things which are themed on my hobbies, or have some significance.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Flowfy
    Flowfy Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    What instrument does he play? Its very likely that during his 1st year at uni he will need to purchase a higher quality instrument than the one he learned on.

Hows his sense of humour? I'm pretty hard to buy for, so I really like silly things which are themed on my hobbies, or have some significance.

Thanks Naf. It's percussion. He has a drum kit, marimba, xylophone and glockenspiel. Plus loads of sticks and mallets. All good quality.

His sense of humour.......well. Lets just say, I don't get it. lol x
  • Luckystar
    Luckystar Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Teenage boys are harder to buy for, mine is 18 so I sympathise. vouchers aren't the most exciting thing but always a good choice if it's for something he likes - iTunes, HMV, Netflix and Amazon seem to go down well :)
    Clothes or voucher again for favourite clothes store. You mentioned he normally buys aftershave in the sales but you can often pick up some good prices on gift sets in TK Maxx, Suoerdrug and fragrance shop this time of year and they do make a nice gift
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Luckystar wrote: »
    Teenage boys are harder to buy for, mine is 18 so I sympathise. vouchers aren't the most exciting thing but always a good choice if it's for something he likes - iTunes, HMV, Netflix and Amazon seem to go down well :)
    Clothes or voucher again for favourite clothes store. You mentioned he normally buys aftershave in the sales but you can often pick up some good prices on gift sets in TK Maxx, Suoerdrug and fragrance shop this time of year and they do make a nice gift

Just make sure it is for something they like/is useful. My in laws bought me a £10 iTunes voucher. In previous years that was great, but I've just switched to Android a month ago.
    I didn't have the heart to tell them haha.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    At age 17, I'd probably spend the money on what he's asked for and forget about the surprises.

If his wish-list doesn't come to the amount of money you'd usually spend, either put it away for him or give it to him to spend as he wishes.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'd gt the main gift of what he asked for (game etc). Then just do some little things to open like Lynx sprays, some chocs (a few won't hurt on Xmas day!), some funny things like maybe novelty keyrings, lego pencil case or torch. Power stick to recharge phone, gloves, socks. You have to have a few things to open. I have two boys - one more into novelties than the other but I always make sure they have some things to open.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure