Why is my freezer wet on the outside?

Options
Have a small freezer in the cellar/basement. After a few days there is condensation on the outside on the door and the side panels. Also there is a small pool of water on top.

I assume it is due to condensation? The food inside is fine.

Is there anything that can be done?
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Comments

• nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    improve ventilation
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or poor insulation.
    You could stick insulation board to the outside of the freezer ( obviously avoiding the motor/compressor vent)

Or dehumidify the room
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your cellar / basement has the problem not the freezer.

Find out where the damp / humidity is coming from before it gets worse.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2011 at 11:22AM
    Options
    We have a freezer and a fridge in the cellar. They both have wet sides. As has been said, it is just the damp in the cellar condensing onto the cooler walls of the appliances. Better insulation applied to the sides of the freezer would probably work.

Dehumidifying the room probably wouldn't. At least, it didn't for me. It's like trying to empty the Thames with a teaspoon. Unless the cellar is properly tanked, as fast as you remove the humidity more is drawn into the structure from the surrounding damp earth.

Improving the ventilation is probably the best bet, and is what I am trying to do at the moment. By the sounds of it though, you will need to improve it quite drastically. We leave the door open all the time which seems to help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure