Importing - Charges

Options
Hi,
I'm sure this question has been asked several times, but i need some advice please.

I am looking to import items from China and after reading up online (although its a minefield and probably confused me even more) i want to double check if i am missing any fees/charges.

The supplier in China is offering FOB service which i believe means they will take it to the port, i have arranged a courrier to sea frieght it to the UK and they will cover the cost of the sea freight, Customs Clearance, Import THC (not sure what this is), Delivery and documentation fee. I have also factored in the cost of Import tax and duty (I wont be paying VAT). Am i missing anything? As i don't want to have any nasty surprises with bills i wasn't expecting turning up.

I have read there could be storage fees at customs? And Inspection charges? Can anyone tell me if this is correct and if so how much?

Many thanks,
Laura

Comments

• chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have arranged a courrier to sea frieght it to the UK

Does this also cover delivery to your address or only to the UK port?
    Import THC (not sure what this is)

A simple Google search for "import THC"will give you the answer to this.
    (I wont be paying VAT)

Why won't you be paying VAT?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As Chalkie suggested you will be paying VAT unless the item you're importing is zero rated or exempt. I think maybe what you mean is that you are not VAT registered so will not be able to set it off against VAT on sales.

Especially for small consignments (part container loads) you really want to arrange for the courier to deliver it to your door and to arrange customs clearance. Otherwise there could be extra costs at the dockside here.

Providing you pay the bill for customs clearance, duty, fees and VAT promptly you will not have to pay storage charges.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    You should certainly get insurance too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business