Returning an Acknowledgement of Service

Options
I am in the process of going through a divorce and have received the acknowledgement of service.

One of the questions is:

In the event of a decree nisi being granted on the basis of two years' separation coupled with the respondent's consent, do you intend to apply to the Court for it to consider your financial position as it will be after the divorce?

I'm not sure what I should put here. I do have a new partner but we don't live together. The only financial asset between me and my ex is the marital home which he is refusing to sell and is trying to buy me out but not at a reasonable offer.

Could someone explain to me what the question means so I know I put the right answer?

Thanks
Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I would do the financial settlement at the time of divorce. Or else you'll still have the 'attachment'.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Visit your local CAB and ask to be referred to a family solicitor who will advise you.
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    Personally I would do the financial settlement at the time of divorce. Or else you'll still have the 'attachment'.

Unfortunately there's not much chance of the finances being settled before the divorce going through.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • newbutold
    Options
    lynseydee wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's not much chance of the finances being settled before the divorce going through.

When I got divorced, I did it all myself but did have an hour with a solicitor at the start. They advised going as far as getting the decree nisi but not applying for the decreee absolute until we had sorted out the finances and done the clean break order etc.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • lynseydee
    Options
    newbutold wrote: »
    When I got divorced, I did it all myself but did have an hour with a solicitor at the start. They advised going as far as getting the decree nisi but not applying for the decreee absolute until we had sorted out the finances and done the clean break order etc.

Thanks for this. I do intend to do as much as possible by myself and employ a solicitor when it comes to agreeing the finances just to make sure I'm getting a fair deal but unfortunately he's the one divorcing me so don't know how much input I would have with the delaying of the absolute.
    Did owe £9,951.96

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    put no. The question is asking whether you want the court to delay the divorce for financial reasons. Saying no doesn't stop you from applying later for a financial order.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • lynseydee
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    put no. The question is asking whether you want the court to delay the divorce for financial reasons. Saying no doesn't stop you from applying later for a financial order.

Thank you so much TBagpuss. You've explained it exactly how I wanted. Why couldn't they have just said that :rotfl:
    Did owe £9,951.96

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure