Desperately seeking freedom :)

Options

Comments

• missmental123
    Options
    What a lovely day! I woke up at lunchtime after my night shift, and I worked out that I've paid 6.4% of my debts since July! I really do feel like something has finally clicked!

Today, I used my Sainsbury's Nectar points to pay for most of my grocery shopping and instead of going to the pub I bought some cans of shandy to drink in the garden.

hoping for lots of NSD's this week. :)
    Total: Debt July '17 -£23,806.33 - now
    -£16,910 (£6896 or 28.9% paid)
  • missmental123
    missmental123 Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2017 at 9:46PM
    Options
    I've had a good few days on the DFW front :)
    I've worked an extra night shift this week and got an overtime night shift on Monday too. I'm hoping to save this money to pay for my car insurance & MOT that are due in October. Normally this would be paid for in CC, but not any more.

I have signed up for the October NSD challenge and also £1 a day for Christmas. I know it's a bit late in the year, but at least it may fund the xmas food shopping & alcohol?
    I made the big, scary decision to swop bank accounts today. I've been thinking about it for ages. I've been with RBS forever, and they have always given me a lovely huge overdraft! but I'm paying about £13 a month for it and this needs to change. I've been accepted for the First Direct account with £100 incentive plus £250 free overdraft. I'm feeling really anxious about taking this step, particularly not having my RBS 'comfort blanket' overdraft to fall back on but I also know that overall it is not helpful.

Other good news is that my energy bills have reduced by £15 a month since changing to Engie!

I'm looking forward to my one day off tomorrow. Hoping the sun will shine because I've splashed out £2.50 on a concert in the park in the evening. We're taking a bottle of plonk and hopefully will enjoy the classical music & fireworks.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    All good stuff :D especially changing to a smaller overdraft!

Tomorrow sounds good!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You're doing really well. Holidays, clothes etc are lovely and hard to resist but you enjoy them a lot more when they're not financed by credit. I never use credit cards and rarely buy treats, but when I do I don't feel guilty because I know I can afford them.

You'll feelso much better when your debts bite the dust.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • missmental123
    Options
    Hi,

So the classical concert in the park was brilliant! They played a great selection of music.It was a proper sing a long in the rain!

As I am switching to First Direct & I am reducing my overdraft to £250 from 2K, I decided to do a balance transfer from my Barclaycard CC 0% until March '18. I thought it was a good idea to do this to help with the transition from my big overdraft to my new little one! It will have only cost me £13 as long as I pay it off by next March.

Sadly NSD's yet this month! But today will be NSD #1 !!

I've swopped energy providers and Sainsbury's now reckon we're £23 in debit that I had not accounted for! This is very annoying!!!

I have worked 2 extra shifts already this month :) The aim is to try not to spend the money I earn before I am paid it! This is a completely different way of thinking for me.

I have started to use the 'spending app' to help record my spending. It's really simple and easy to use. I've given myself a monthly cash budget that I'm sticking to.

I'm looking forward to going to see ' IT' at the cinema on Thursday night! DH is treating us,he's being waiting for it to be released for ages. Obviously, we will be taking our own snacks, no pricey popcorn & soda:).

Back to bed now... I should be asleep, Last night shift, hooray!
  • missmental123
    edited 11 September 2017 at 12:54PM
    Options
    All work & no playing makes me feel like a misery guts! I've been working all weekend :( but this has resulted in 3 straight NSD's!! Today,I'm catching up n housework & shopping, tomorrow is more fun! Meeting my friend for lunch - a bargain - 2 courses for £8 at a lovely Thai restaurant.
    Then it's back to work, 3 x 12 hour shifts... but at least it's day shifts not nights.
    I have still refrained from buying any clothes or shoes since July, I seem to have lost interest in shopping!
    I am still patiently waiting for my new First direct current account to become active & I'm very anxious about switching over. It seems a very slow process overall that is making me even more worried about it all!! I hope I am doing the right thing and that I'm not going to regret it?
  • missmental123
    Options
    I started off having such a good day.because my new First Direct current account is now active. I have a new shiny debit card and they've given me a £500 overdraft but the first £250 is free :) I've chosen to switch from RBS after pay day because it just seemed sensible. It will be a challenge but I'm determined to keep my overdraft below £250 after next month.

But then I have just had a huge shock! I have been quoted £250 for my car MOT, service & brake fluid change that is all due at the end of this month :( I think I was being optimistic thinking I can pay all of this plus my car insurance & car tax in one month. I may have to compromise and pay monthly for car tax & insurance this time until I can get organised to put money aside for car maintenance.
    I know for sure that none of it is going on a CC ever again!!
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Hi MissMental

Just checking in to read your story and say hi! Some of it seems familiar to me.
    Car maintenance is a sticky point for me too. I really need to be putting some aside!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    Hi Missmental,

Also been reading your diary

I had my LBM very end of May coinciding with an almost £600 bill from garage following MOT failure. Went on Credit cards. Realised couldn't keep living like that as it was yet another thing adding to debt.

Hoping by next May to have sufficient funds in our annual bills account and emergency fund to cover these issues. Just a slow process putting the money aside for it. Keep doing what your doing x
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • missmental123
    edited 14 September 2017 at 6:32AM
    Options
    Hi tea & kittens and mummy bear! Lovely names by the way.

I used to have company car until 2 years ago so never worried about paying for car insurance, tax or maintenance so when it comes around in September I am totally unprepared for it, but 2018 will be different, I will definitely be putting money away for holidays, car & Christmas

I had my 4th NSD for September yesterday. It's pretty easy to do when you work 12 hour shifts!.Just take my lunch with me. I've got chicken breasts in the over at 5.30 am! I must be crazy!! I take ALDI wotsits, fruit and a salad. I don't take any cash with me to avoid the temptation of M&Sfood just below our office.

Two more long days at work.. but then have a nice weekend to look forward to. Friday night, my friend has invited a few mates round for home made curry & drinks. So I'm going after work, it should only cost me a taxi home & bottle of wine unless I stay & sleep over! On Sunday DH is taking us out (he's paying) for a carvery.

My goal is to get my debt to below 20 k & to save £500 by Xmas! Can I do it? I'm going to try. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family