How much tax credits for third child?

Options
My daughter is 17, and her non-working mother gets her benefit entitlement, but my daughter(17) mostly lives with a friend that lives a few miles away.
What are the implications of my daughters friend claiming benefits for my daughter, instead of her mother?
I believe they have 2 other children, Mum is at 'college' and dad works earning, I guess about £20k.
I am guessing that WFTC(£3k?) would work out more than what my daughters mum gets.

Comments

• Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I take it that you are the father then?
  • susannthe3cs
    Options
    She'd get nothing for her as tax credits only pay for two children per family now
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    She'd get nothing for her as tax credits only pay for two children per family now

Only if the child is born after April 2017
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    My daughter is 17, and her non-working mother gets her benefit entitlement, but my daughter(17) mostly lives with a friend that lives a few miles away.
    What are the implications of my daughters friend claiming benefits for my daughter, instead of her mother?
    I believe they have 2 other children, Mum is at 'college' and dad works earning, I guess about £20k.
    I am guessing that WFTC(£3k?) would work out more than what my daughters mum gets.

Can't guess. Depends on earnings, hours worked, disability. They need to put their details into a benefits calculator. https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    It probably works out more for her own mother as she isn't working and would be getting the child and family element. If the child is added to another family claim they'd only get the child element because they'd already have the family element for their other children.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It probably works out more for her own mother as she isn't working and would be getting the child and family element. If the child is added to another family claim they'd only get the child element because they'd already have the family element for their other children.

I was thinking the opposite, mother would still get housing benefit.

I read this on netmums 'I currently receive around £1k of TC for the kids and I would have received £4k for the 3rd if the government hadn't made the changes.'
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    A random netmums post is hardly enough to go on. Each claim depends entirely on the specific circumstances.

A person on income related benefits would receive CTC of £64 per week for one child. That's assuming no disabilities.

A couple with one working full time and earning £20,000 with 2 children would get tax credits of £102 per week. Again assuming no disabilities and no childcare. Increasing the claim to 3 children would increase tax credits to £155 per week so an increase of £53 so less than the £64 the mother gets.
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Regardless of who would get more, tax credits are only awarded to the person the child normally lives with. If their is a dispute in responsibility they'd consider things like:

- who the child or qualifying young person normally lives with and where they keep the majority of their belongings such as clothes, toys
    - who is responsible for the day to day spending for the child or qualifying young person such as buying clothes, food and providing pocket money
    - who the main contact is for school/college/nursery/childcare
    - who is responsible for the health care and hygiene of the child or qualifying young person such as making appointments with the doctor/dentist, doing the child or qualifying young person’s laundry
    - what is the registered address for contact for the school/college/nursery/child care, healthcare
    - who has legal custody of the child or qualifying young person
    normally, a child or qualifying young person who is placed as a result of a Residence Order, a child arrangement order or a Special Guardianship Order, is considered the responsibility of the person named on that order.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It has caused a fuss within the family, but her mother was going to sign a form to allow for this transfer. My daughter has not 'lived' with either parent for about 2 years.
    But her mother is/was in receipt of child benefit and such. Who gets the money will not change who she 'lives' with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure