Bank waited to tell me they have a problem

Options

Comments

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bobobski, you are swimming against the tide here and have not assisted us by advising who the lender is.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's all come to a head now as the bank has made it clear that they won't accept our position, which is good because it makes the decision for me. That decision is partly never to take a mortgage with this bank :) They have wasted so much of my time, meaning my purchase has been delayed by weeks because of them, and they have potentially affected my ability to take a mortgage with someone else as well, so I couldn't be angrier at them. Obviously a !!!! up on their side as they'd spent money too, so I'll console myself with the fact that their mistake has cost them money.

It doesn't feel right to name the bank, sorry, but I will say it's one of the big ones. But I'm posting this update for anyone in future hoping to do what I was hoping to do - the answer is "don't bother". It doesn't matter how much sense it makes for everyone and how well you address each and every one of the bank's concerns (my friend was willing to sign the form to say he has no right to claim the money back from me, but the bank still said no). If you don't fit in their box, they don't care. So they have lost my business and they have lost the money they have spent so far.

Me having to take a 95% mortgage is worse for everyone - it's riskier for the bank than me taking a 90% mortgage and having a completely unsecured loan for 5% more, it means I have to spend more money, and it means my dear friend can't help me, which is all he wanted to do. We literally addressed all of their concerns but they just didn't care. The error we made was assuming there was any logic in what the bank requires.

Ah well, onwards and upwards. Need to start looking at 95% mortgages now...
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know you're frustrated by the Bank's dithering and time wasted but to water it down simply you want to borrow 95% at 90% rates. They just aren't going to want to encourage this sort of 'fudge'. If you borrow 95% from them the price reflects the higher risk.

You are after something that is practically non-existent. You sort of want the best of both worlds, to set up a complex deal but pay the price as if it was a bog standard one.
  • bobobski
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:45AM
    Options
    Warby, I'm afraid I just don't agree. We asked them if they would accept a gift from my friend, and a vague intention that I repay that gift over the next few years by a series of smaller gifts, with him signing a document to say he cannot enforce those smaller gifts. They said no. How is that riskier to the bank than a 90% mortgage? As above, this is not an affordability issue; indeed, they calculated the affordability on the basis that I would be paying these smaller "gifts" when they gave me the MIP.

There's a lot of generic talk on this thread about this being riskier for the bank, but as I said we addressed literally every single one of their concerns about risk and they still weren't happy. This is not a logical situation.
  • bobobski
    Options
    In fact, me taking a 90% mortgage is less risky for the bank as their security is a smaller percentage of the property, meaning they are more likely to recoup everything if the worst were to happen.
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    You are asking for a customised product from a mainstream lender. It's not what they do, and just not worth their time and effort to pursue.

You mas as we'll ask a fast food restaurant to make you a meal with unusual custom items, or a newsagent to sell you half a Times and half a Guardian.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bobobski wrote: »
    Warby, I'm afraid I just don't agree. We asked them if they would accept a gift from my friend, and a vague intention that I repay that gift over the next few years by a series of smaller gifts, with him signing a document to say he cannot enforce those smaller gifts. They said no. How is that riskier to the bank than a 90% mortgage? As above, this is not an affordability issue; indeed, they calculated the affordability on the basis that I would be paying these smaller "gifts" when they gave me the MIP.

There's a lot of generic talk on this thread about this being riskier for the bank, but as I said we addressed literally every single one of their concerns about risk and they still weren't happy. This is not a logical situation.

Gross misuse of the word "gift" there bobobski when the fact is, its a loan. End of :D

Anyway as said by recent posters, these organisations do cookie cutter stuff, and you are asking for custom.

I agree they should have made it clear upfront this wasn't a starter, and I think that is a fair complaint to have. Everything else is really an irrelevance, whats in their interest, whats safer for them even if its true, because they sell what they sell, products that meet strict criteria, for numerous reasons, some financial, many and probably most though, to fulfill regulatory hoops.

I was doing stuff with my pension yesterday and had to go through a list over the phone of 15 questions before I could proceed, not because it made sense, but because the pension company have to show they followed process and in case they have to defend themselves against complaints in future. Most of the questions were literally irrelevant in my circumstances but they arent going to have a customized set just for me, its easier and safer for them to have one set of questions that apply to all.

Same with your mortgage. They should just have realized earlier on you didn't fit their criteria. Let it go.
  • bobobski
    Options
    Gareth, not a customised product - an off the shelf product. It's no more effort than working out how any other applicant is funding their deposit. But your dissatisfaction with our outside-the-box thinking is noted, thank you.

AJ, the interpretation of the word "gift" was a major part of this. If I intend to give you something, but you have no way of enforcing it and indeed you have signed away any rights you might have to enforce it, is that a gift or a loan? I personally really struggled with this for a long time, and it's part of the reason we all agreed to tell the bank it was a loan and not a gift. But as it became clear that "gift" didn't necessarily mean "absolutely never going to be repaid in any circumstances", I became more comfortable agreeing to calling it a gift provided the bank understood that my intention was to pay it back. It's moot anyway as they have rejected this. Turns out they are now doing their best to give me a 95% mortgage but I've told them to stick it where the sun don't shine. I don't want a long term relationship with a bank which starts it off by misleading me for weeks and potentially prejudicing my purchase.

But yes, the lesson I have learned from this is that banks have to follow processes, and it doesn't matter whether or not those processes make sense or even prejudice the bank - rules are rules and people aren't allowed to even think about a slight variation of one of those rules. And as I said, I have let it go - I'm going with another bank. Just responding to the comments on here so people don't start with the mean comments about how I never returned to the thread :)
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    It is pretty simple, they have a book with their lending criteria. Part of that criteria is deposit source with a list of what they will accept. A loan from a friend is not in that list.

There's been a mistake, mistakes happen. Life goes on. There is a lower risk to the bank of you default, but there is a higher risk in other areas. Your friend can not sign a gift form because it is not a gift and would become mortgage fraud. The bank would be opening themselves up to a complaint and litigation.

As I have said, they can lend that money out 10 times over to someone who is less hassle (I do not mean that in an offensive way).

Find a new lender at 95% or stick with them at 95% and you'll be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • bobobski
    Options
    Thanks ACG, my own feelings about the risk levels one way or the other aside, what has really gotten to me is the failure by the bank to pick this up at any point in the last 3 weeks when we were honest with them from day 0 (by which I mean even before we applied for the MIP and we were assured that our proposal was acceptable) - particularly if the criteria are so strict that they should have known from day 0, or day 1 or any day after that. That way I could have proceeded with this bank at 95% no problem.

New mortgage application going in with literally any other bank for a 95% mortgage tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure