MSE News: Old fivers must be spent or banked by next Friday

Options

Comments

• tomkitten68
    tomkitten68 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2017 at 4:19PM
    Options
    quick comment - I have seen various articles re: old £5 notes, and being able to 'exchange' them. I went to my bank last week as I had a couple of hundred in old £5's and asked about exchanging them. Was told had to pay them into my account then withdraw out again. When I asked why I couldn't just change them, they said that I could dispute the amount handed over to the amount I was given back.

Was this a legitimate reply, and some ploy to get my money into my account for reasons best known to themselves?

And, can I ask to exchange old £1 coins?

just seen the above post re: Lloyds bank giving you the choice of exchange or deposit into your account - HSBC is the bank who said I had to deposit in my account, so why the different messages from different banks?
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just seen the above post re: Lloyds bank giving you the choice of exchange or deposit into your account - HSBC is the bank who said I had to deposit in my account, so why the different messages from different banks?

Because it's entirely at the banks' discretion whether they accept old notes or note, and different banks have decided different policies.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    quick comment - I have seen various articles re: old £5 notes, and being able to 'exchange' them. I went to my bank last week as I had a couple of hundred in old £5's and asked about exchanging them. Was told had to pay them into my account then withdraw out again. When I asked why I couldn't just change them, they said that I could dispute the amount handed over to the amount I was given back.

Was this a legitimate reply, and some ploy to get my money into my account for reasons best known to themselves?

And, can I ask to exchange old £1 coins?

Different policies and I would assume the HSBC way of paying in is to use the coin deposit, which gives a receipt with the amount paid in and then you either get the cash or leave it in your account, so you are doing the same thing, but its is always to do with an audit trail/paper trail and also to intercept fraudulent notes, and the customer details if required for investigation.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • tomkitten68
    tomkitten68 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your post Westie983 - they did mention a 'paper trail' and also that over the counter could be disputed what amount I had handed over.but still not quite sure why I couldnt sign a slip at the counter to verify the amount paid over, and then the amount received back. It would also be helpful if all the major banks showed consistency with such matters as you hear (and receive) differing information depending on the particular bank.
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    This is an incredible non-story.

All that happened is paper £5 notes ceased to be 'legal tender'. The definition of 'legal tender' is a very very tight and specific one, and really has little to do with what someone is willing to accept as payment.

This is a story promoted by the BoE purely to try to flush out old paper fivers and tidy up the notes in circulation.

As of today I'll be quite happy to accept an old fiver as payment, or in change. It is still worth £5.

All Scottish banknotes are not, and have never been, 'legal tender', even in Scotland, but that doesn't stop them being widely accepted. Meanwhile, all those silly commemorative crowns and £5 coins the mint issues are legal tender, but try buying a flat skinny in Costa with one of those.
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pvt wrote: »
    This is an incredible non-story.

All that happened is paper £5 notes ceased to be 'legal tender'. The definition of 'legal tender' is a very very tight and specific one, and really has little to do with what someone is willing to accept as payment.

This is a story promoted by the BoE purely to try to flush out old paper fivers and tidy up the notes in circulation.

As of today I'll be quite happy to accept an old fiver as payment, or in change. It is still worth £5.
    You're right that legal tender is a much narrower term than many think but it's widely used (albeit inaccurately) in general parlance as shorthand for "what's generally acceptable by shops, etc".

As chattychappy pointed out in an earlier post, shops can always refuse any form of payment anyway - strictly speaking they can still accept the old notes but customers will be reluctant to take them in change and this resistance will ultimately be self-fulfilling, so personally I don't see this as a non-story, it's reflecting the published date after which these notes will be significantly less usable than before it, regardless of narrow legal status.

Clearly there comes a point when the likes of automated payment machines have to be adjusted to accommodate new notes (or coins) and it would be unreasonable to insist on infinite backward compatibility with old designs, so nominating a specific changeover date seems sensible to me - how would you handle the phasing out of obsolete notes?
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    how would you handle the phasing out of obsolete notes?

From memory there was far less song and dance about the replacement of other coins and notes.

I would handle it the way the BoE has handled it in the past, which is to ask banks to stop re-issuing them. After a number of months there are so few left in circulation that nobody really bothers about the official change date.

For some reason this time the withdrawal date seems very soon after the introduction of the new notes.
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    Damn.

I do have an almost complete collection of 2000AD from the first ten years.

Good comics, time well spent obviously :beer:
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Well I find the new £5 notes a right pain.
    Once they have a fold in the middle the flaming things never go flat
    again.
    Anybody any idea how to re flatten them ??
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anybody any idea how to re flatten them ??
    Holding each end tightly, scrape the outside of the fold back and forth over a sharp right-angled edge, such as a table top or such? I've not had cause to try - does it work..?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport