More 2 Life Equity Release Lifetime Mortgage

Options
Hi all

As previously posted we are unable to secure a conventional mortgage. Several IFA's have suggested the equity release route for us - and More 2 Life have emerged as a possible lender for us.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• rachelleigh73
    Options
    *Bump* please - we need all the help we can get atm
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What does your IFA say about them?

Have you asked the IFA to show you their research if you have concerns? (that will show their filtering process to lead to their recommendation).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Missmarch17
    Options
    I am not a financial advisor but the daughter of someone who took out a lifetime mortgage equity release and I would strongly advise against them.
    My dad borrowed 15k and has since passed away, with interest there is now a little over 16k owing.
    However now the company (aviva) have total control of that property, I am unable to sell it, remortgage or take out a secured loan on it to pay the money back. So although i should own about 90% of the property, the only people with any power over it are aviva, who 'own' less than 10%.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why can't you pay the £16k off ?
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    I am not a financial advisor but the daughter of someone who took out a lifetime mortgage equity release and I would strongly advise against them.
    My dad borrowed 15k and has since passed away, with interest there is now a little over 16k owing.
    However now the company (aviva) have total control of that property, I am unable to sell it, remortgage or take out a secured loan on it to pay the money back. So although i should own about 90% of the property, the only people with any power over it are aviva, who 'own' less than 10%.

So they're actively blocking you from repaying? Why?
  • dunstonh
    Options

You can sell it. That is never a problem with equity release.
    You cant take a secured loan on it as there is already one.

There is no problem with them. Some of the 80s versions can be poor by modern standards but modern equity release is fine and Aviva are a major product and none of what you so is consistent with modern equity release.

So, either your understanding is not quite correct or there is an issue.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Missmarch17
    Options
    Because I'm not lucky enough to have 16k laying around in my bank account.
  • Missmarch17
    Missmarch17 Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 7:54PM
    Options
    Well if I am misunderstanding, so are the probate and conveyancing solicitors and estate agents.

I cannot do anything with the property e.g. lend on it to repay the money, or sell it to repay the money.

Aviva will not allow me to have my name on the deeds until they are paid, but I can't pay if they refuse my name on the deeds, its a vicious circle.

Aviva can sell it however, with or without my permission 12 months after the date on which my dad died.

I have a mortgage offer but it can't proceed any further as the conveyancing can't complete without approval from aviva.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Aviva will not allow me to have my name on the deeds until they are paid, but I can't pay if they refuse my name on the deeds, its a vicious circle.

And here we have it. You are not the owner. The estate is the owner.

As you are not the owner, you cannot sell the property. You cannot borrow against the property.

Technically, you need to buy the property out of the estate. If you are the sole beneficiary of the estate then it should just be a case of arranging a mortgage to buy the property with Aviva being paid upon completion.
  • Missmarch17
    Options
    I am the sole beneficiary, probate has been granted, mortgage offer has been sent..........solicitor cannot move forward without consent from aviva, aviva will not give the consent. The mortgage offer is an amount to repay aviva who were named on the application and a bit to redecorate the house and pay off a car loan I have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure