'Pick this site’s charities for the next year.' Poll results/discussion

Options

Comments

• gonzolagonda
    Options
    I voted for Help for Heroes because I expected the animal charities to be the front runners and the statistics for the homeless in the U.K. are shocking - something like a third or a half of the people on the streets are ex-forces some quite unable to cope with what they have seen. They may have chosen to join up but then look at the slick advertising and how vunerable the young are to that sort of thing. Mental illness is so often overlooked.

Agreed. The Peace Pledge Union campaigns against this slick advertising and argues that militarisation is not inevitable.
  • southernbelle
    Options
    I have voted for Help for Heroes, as they are doing an amazing job.

As a member of the forces myself, hopefully going to Afghanistan next year, it means a lot that there are people who are raising this money which would help me if I were to be injured. We hear a lot about fatalities in the news, however not so much about injuries, some of which are horrific.

Hooray for Help for Heroes! :beer:
    Total Debt: £0 [STRIKE]£33,043[/STRIKE]
    Official DFW Nerd No. 763
    :jDMP start date Aug 2011~DFD Aug 2013 :j
  • darleydame
    darleydame Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are there just too many charities out there today?
    All trying to raise money often for the same thing i.e. cancer and all have staff and offices to run and pay for.
    While I admire people that set up a charity in memory of a lost loved one surely they could do this under the umbrella of a larger established charity?

I voted for Carers UK as I think most do a thankless job that gets overlooked and often have no choice in whether they want to do it or not.
  • david72
    david72 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whichever charities are chosen, as MSE is a UK-wide website, I do hope that the money raised is distributed to all of the home nations in fair proportion.

Most charities do not operate throughout the UK as a whole entity, and it is extremely common for legal and political reasons for there to be legally-separate corresponding organisations for England(..) and Scotland, and sometimes even for Northern Ireland and Wales as well. They may share the same name and the same objectives, but their organisation and their accounts are separate.

I am sure that Martin and the MSE staff are smarter than that, but it would be very disappointing if, due to an oversight, all of the money was unthinkingly sent to the account of the English charity only, and the rest of the UK received nothing!

Nevertheless, it is genuinely a wonderful thing that this website is both able to and has chosen to contribute to good causes. Thank you, Martin.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I have voted for Help for Heroes, as they are doing an amazing job.

As a member of the forces myself, hopefully going to Afghanistan next year, it means a lot that there are people who are raising this money which would help me if I were to be injured. We hear a lot about fatalities in the news, however not so much about injuries, some of which are horrific.

Hooray for Help for Heroes! :beer:

Well said southernbelle. As a proposer for the Help for Heroes charity I was somewhat saddened to see that some posters in the thread have brought politics into the discussion. That is their right of course, which I have absolutely no problem with, but nevertheless it does sadden me, particularly when Help for Heroes make it very clear that the charity is non-political and is not trying to say anything about the rights and wrongs of current military campaigns, it is simply trying to raise awareness and funds for those men and women who don’t make it home unscathed and gives people the chance to show that they care, appreciate and support all our Servicemen and women. :)

I hope that it receives the support that I believe that it deserves and many thanks to all those that have, and those others that hopefully will, vote for it. :beer:
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • davepitchford
    Options
    Hi Lawrence

A heartwarming poll, and great to see Martin's generosity.

That said, you have set us all an interesting task: to choose "the most relevant and effective charities". No-one has a clue which are the most effective, unless they work for them or are beneficiaries. May I gently put in a plug therefore, for the website designed to help people understand which charities are more effective (among other things). Many of those on your list are evaluated there: http://www.intelligentgiving.com.

Thanks

Dave
  • andy1984uk
    Options
    I've voted for Help for Hereos.

Whilst many people don't agree with the ongoing conflict they should still support our troops 100%. My brother was almost killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq which blew up under his vehicle. Luckily he escaped without injury but there are so many more troops who are either killed or have life changing injuries that are never reported on.

This government should be supporting our troops instead of handing out millions in compensation to injured Iraqis....I'll stop there before i start going all political!
  • GreenMan
    GreenMan Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was with real sadness that when I looked at the list of twelve charities that only one had any remit outside the UK. Given that the UK is the fourth richest nation on earth and that millions of people worldwide do not have access to a clean water supply or the most basic of health care I'm perplexed that 90% of the charities were based in this country.
  • halia
    halia Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    I went for shelterbox
    I've worked for not-for-profit and charitable organisations all my adult life (and a portion of my teenage years too)

Alot of charities do duplicate each other and alot spend funds on marketing etc rather than real need.

Hence shelterbox, I don't know alot about it but it met some of my personal criteria for 'aid'; will it go direct to the people who need it in tangible form?
    is it straightforward to deliver? Is it adaptable to different circumstances and cultures? Is it easy to see where the costs are? Does it work together with charities, governmental and other groups? Is it meeting immediate shortterm need rather than ongoing handouts?

BLISS… should be funded by taxes,
    CAP UK... need should be addressed in different ways, by numeracy and financial education of children and young people (as an exyouth worker I can say most schools do a terrible job at preparing kids for the real world and its finances)
    Carers UK… should be governmental, reflecting the fact that each carer reduces burden on NHS
    Citizens Advice... close call, probably my next choice as I agree there is a need for an independant group doing this work. And government funding tends to restrict your independance
    Foal Farm… I might support my own local animal charity in variuos ways but I don't think money from a national site should go to just one local animal rescue centre

Hearing Dogs for Deaf People… This really should be governmentally funded as a hearing dog or a guide dog allow a disabled person to live independantly
    Help for Heroes… no, if forces cannot provide adequetly for their personel who are injured in line of duty then thats something that needs to be addressed within the public sector. And I personally dont' want a big armed forces or to be involved as a country in iraq. yes the marketing is slick, again I'd rather see real intervention and education programmes aimed at young people and giving them the skills to make better choices.

iT4 Communities… had personal experience of this charity which wasn't positive
    NCH... Charities like this do good work but are a cop out for the government who should be addressing the underlying issues of child abuse, child suicide, falling education standards etc
    Samaritans… just listening isn't enough, (very personal view)
    Shelterbox… giving emergency aid worldwide. Site: Shelterbox
    St Giles Trust… looked like they did good work, would need to know a bit more about them

Overall I like the idea of work which actually changes the situation long term, tackling root causes or which works on short term intervention basis to stop things getting out of control in a crises.

So to use an example: parenting - bloody tough job!
    I'd support; charity which gave one off nanny/babysitter/holiday care to a family who felt they had reached the end of their tether. Give everyone a breathing space and hopefully prevent the crises point hitting of mom (or dad) having a breakdown
    I'd also support work done to look at root causes of WHY parents are under so much stress, is there any way to identify the at risk groups earlier etc etc
    DEBT: £500 credit card £800 Bank overdraft
    £14 Weekly food budget

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    david72 wrote: »
    Whichever charities are chosen, as MSE is a UK-wide website, I do hope that the money raised is distributed to all of the home nations in fair proportion.

Most charities do not operate throughout the UK as a whole entity, and it is extremely common for legal and political reasons for there to be legally-separate corresponding organisations for England(..) and Scotland, and sometimes even for Northern Ireland and Wales as well. They may share the same name and the same objectives, but their organisation and their accounts are separate.

I am sure that Martin and the MSE staff are smarter than that, but it would be very disappointing if, due to an oversight, all of the money was unthinkingly sent to the account of the English charity only, and the rest of the UK received nothing!

Nevertheless, it is genuinely a wonderful thing that this website is both able to and has chosen to contribute to good causes. Thank you, Martin.

Hi

Im afraid that isn't something we've looked at. The MSE Team and I actually deliberately steer clear of the process. Nominations are by site users. Shortlisting by a team of regular site users. Then the vote.

I hope the winning charities will be UK wide - but that's up to people's votes...

martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport