PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on House Buying

Options
diamond_dave
diamond_dave Posts: 814 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 14 March 2017 at 11:37AM in House buying, renting & selling
My 30 yr old dd is desperate to move out of family home - she has a very large cash reserve and we are in a position to help her with extra funds. Now there are 2 problems- she has a great job with NHS but has a serious medical condition which could mean that she might be unable to work in the future and, as importantly, I have simply no idea as how to proceed! It's been 30 odd years since we bought this property we just saw this house and wacked down some cash and I have no idea how to help her move forward on this now. Houses are moving fast here and because of her health she really needs a " new build" or similar.
Question: what is the first step? Contact a broker? Speak to developers? Get the cash together ?We've looked at a couple of places but they seem pretty small and compact.The help to buy scheme looked ok but on carefull inspection is not really an option. Bottom line: should she see a property that she likes, would it be sensible to sink all her money( plus a chunk from us) into it or go for a partial mortgage - and given her health would she get a mortgage?
Sorry its so long but I really need help on this as it's doing my head in!!

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    If you are in a position to help her buy a small place outright, then surely that negates the worry over possible loss of income in future?

You don't have to declare medical issues on a mortgage. An independent, whole of market broker is a good place to start- they will want to know salary details, length of employment, expenditure, status of any loans/credit cards etc. It will help if she's on the electoral register. However, even a small mortgage needs to be paid and is a serious commitment.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The mortgage rates are very good at the moment and savings rates are low. So why not get a mortgage and keep the cash on the understanding that if her health gets too bad she can almost pay it off in full.

The very first thing she needs to do is decide what she needs and what she would like. These are two very different things as unless she has a serious amount of cash she may have to compromise on the wants list.

You now need to do some research into areas. It has and always will be about location and this is even more important ref health.

Then once you have decided on area start searching Rightmove. Pictures are good but estate agents have magic cameras and can make the smallest space look massive so go and see as many as you can.

Good luck and happy house hunting.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 1:19PM
    Options
    In my view this boils down to what other use your money could be put to if you didn't chip in. It's always going to be cheaper to buy a house without a mortgage, as there is no interest to pay. But what are the implications for you?

Can you certainly do without the money forever? Does she have other siblings who you might need to consider in terms of making things 'fair?' Are you mortgage free yourself with absolutely no future need for the money? The point is, this sounds like a long term commitment on your part - it's difficult to see into the future. No doubt it's hard to think of what the future might hold for her, but it's also about yourself as well.

If you decide to go ahead there are choices to be made about how it'll work. You could hand over the cash with no strings. That means no strings whatsoever, so if she decides to sell up in 3 years time, cash in and buy a camper van to travel the USA, you'd have no say and no right to the money back. If she meets a partner and they get married, you'd effectively be handing over half of it to him. Who knows what might happen ... You and your daughter could even fall out and you'd have no way of controlling the house or your money.

Alternatively you could be a joint owner of the property, or a charge could be set up, whereby the money would be repayable to you in the event of its sale. Or some sort of trust arrangement could be set up to own the house with you as joint beneficiaries.

Basically what I'm saying is, this would be a huge step which needs proper advice on how best to go about helping your daughter while at the same time protecting yourself and your own future ... And the rest of the family if there is anyone else.
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    As her condition will deteriorate until she dies - I'm not too worried about our future, as any future without her will leave us witout any future.
    All I'm concerned with is her happiness and doing everything to make here confortable. What I really need to know is what is the next steps to take?
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    What I really need to know is what is the next steps to take?

1 have a proper think about what type of property is most appropriate to her medical needs

2 look at Rightmove/Zoopla properties in your area to get an idea of average prices/housing stock

3 find an independent mortgage broker and play around with the online calculators of High St banks to get an idea of possible deals

4 read Martin's guide to mortgages and housebuying

It can't be THAT different to buying 30 years ago!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Understand you mean the best, but this is a 30 year old grown woman you're talking about. These are decisions she should be making, in her capacity as an adult - especially if she's that keen to move out.

I know every parent wants the best for their kids. But she's not a child any more. It's her life, and her money - perhaps let her make the decisions about how she wants to live it, what she wants to do with it etc?
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied, some good answers some not so good.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Well the next steps would be to have a think about the budget that's available in cash. Does it buy something suitable for her needs? Check out Rightmove to get an idea what's available at that price level. If it turns out you've got enough between you then that's great.

Register with the local estate agents and hopefully you'll find something and be able to move forward without delay. When you find a place and get an offer accepted you'll need to appoint a solicitor, though you won't need them to start work immediately.

Once the chain is complete (seller has found etc) then you'll instruct them to start work and it'll go from there. You'll need the deposit ready for exchange of contracts. This is normally 10% but can be varied by arrangement. The balance of the funds, stamp duty, and solicitors fees will all be payable on the day of completion.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied, some good answers some not so good.

They all look like good replies to me. Whether or not they are what you want/expect people to say is neither here nor there.

You mention 'compact' as a bad thing. Is the 'DD' (you mean daughter, right? That's a mumsnet acronym...) single? Does she need a big house/bigger bills? Compact might just be ideal.

Above all...what does SHE want? Agree with above - she's an adult and obviously capable of making her own decisions. Sound enough of mind to hold a good job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure