Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Options

Comments

• davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

Does it matter?

Most young people drink, and some young people shop lift - for the vast majority it is a maturation issue - the Supermarkets can afford to lose a few pounds, and if the young person was really necking the cans they can wake up with a hangover.

:D:D:D:D

Now that just isnt answering the questiony thing. What would happen?
    Oh, and :D:p;)
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Oh heck ... my V M internet and tv have gone off :eek:.

So much for negotiating a new deal :o.

This approach (cancel, order elsewhere) has worked for others but not for me :(.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Anon

My canx call I got offered £35

Next day even before I had ordered BT I got call out offering £20. What sort of offer were you hoping for?
    I think....
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 11:57PM
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    I was daydreaming today, thinking about the carp 'moral dilemmas' post on the different boards sometimes, and came up with my own. I wondered....
    You know how you sometimes see people wantering around supermarkets doing their shopping while eating a pasty, or drinking a can of pop, then putting the empty bag/can on the belt and paying for the item.
    Well... what if a seventeen year old was doing some shopping and drinking some of those cans of gin and mixer or something like it, what could they do? They could not accuse them of stealing, as they had every intention of paying, but the supermarket would not be allowed to accept payment, as they would then be selling alcohol to a minor... Dunno, thoughts please.

They can!!!8217;t have every intention of paying as they are breaking the law buying (which they would know as they are not 18), and the shop would be breaking the law selling. As a result they could be accused of theft? The shop should also be preventing them from drinking as they only have an off-sales license?

Of course, I could be completely wrong :o.

Anon
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    davemorton wrote: »
    Now that just isnt answering the questiony thing. What would happen?
    Oh, and :D:p;)

The answer is:-

The most likely ............... a hangover.

The least likely......the 17 year old will be charged with stealing alcohol.

Tesco's cannot charge the 17 year old for the alcohol (unless they have fake ID).

Tesco's did not give the 17 year old alcohol - so are not responsible.

Right I am off to bed..... night
  • Anon
    edited 13 March 2018 at 12:01AM
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    My canx call I got offered £35

Next day even before I had ordered BT I got call out offering £20. What sort of offer were you hoping for?

Somewhere around £30-£35 would be realistic based on what others have achieved for 100mb BB and XL TV plus extra box, possibly less.

But as I am managing on my mobile tonight I may cave in ... or may not as it may be too late with tv and B.B. already off :(.

And it would happen today, when my mobile number ported out so I am now managing on borrowed data from the kids :(.

Anon
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    They can’t have every intention of paying as they are breaking the law buying (which they would know as they are not 18), and the shop would be breaking the law selling. As a result they could be accused of theft? The shop should also be preventing them from drinking as they only have an off-sales license?

Of course, I could get completely wrong :o.

Anon

Did you know that legislation around consumption of alcohol for under 18's in Not allowed in a pub, but it IS allowed on a pub premises (i.e. beer garden).... all because the people who formulate legislation are rather useless and did not read what they wrote!

• Sarahdol75
    Sarahdol75 Posts: 7,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you know that legislation around consumption of alcohol for under 18's in Not allowed in a pub, but it IS allowed on a pub premises (i.e. beer garden).... all because the people who formulate legislation are rather useless and did not read what they wrote!

I have also been told that a child under the age of 18 can drink alcohol in a pub, with a meal. My friend who is a manager in a pub told me.
  • Anon
    Options

I did not ... but seem to recall they can have alcohol when served with a meal.

Anon
  • Anon
    Options
    It is not illegal:

For someone over 18 to buy a child over 16 beer, wine or cider if they are eating a table meal together in licensed premises.
    For a child aged five to 16 to drink alcohol at home or on other private premises.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s

HTH

Anon
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sarahdol75 wrote: »
    I have also been told that a child under the age of 18 can drink alcohol in a pub, with a meal. My friend who is a manager in a pub told me.

Yip.
    where the child is 16 or 17 years old and accompanied by an adult, it is legal for them to drink, but not buy, beer, wine and cider with a table meal."
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family