Contacting the solicitor etc.

Options
barrytiptree
barrytiptree Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 30 September 2016 at 9:57AM in Deaths, funerals & probate
My wife's mother passed away around 1 month ago.
My wife is a joint executor of her mother’s will, along with her brother. Her younger sister is not listed as an executor. The brother is dealing with the legal stuff and has the will. The brother made all the funeral arrangements which has taken place.

Currently the brother is refusing to give details of the solicitor who is holding the will but has said that he and my wife are joint executors and the solicitor will be in touch. Even though the solicitor does not have our address or contact details, maybe up to the brother to supply them, (if he chooses to) who knows ! The brother said that it was his own solicitor that was dealing with things, but we don’t know who they are.

I am wondering if my brother is not divulging the solicitor details so that perhaps my wife could be removed as an executor ?

My wife’s brother and sister have fallen out with my wife and almost refuse to have almost any communication with her, possibly due to the fact that the mother died in hospital (she had a weak heart and was very poorly) and both the sister and brother were trying to get her well enough to return and die at home. Something my wife was against as the home was not suitable for her to continue living in, in her condition.

The brother appears aggressive over the phone when he does speak to my wife after she rings him.

There are various items of value such as jewellery and the sale value of the house. The jewellery has been removed by the brother.

My wife and I have helped partially clear the house but as we are 5 hours drive away we have not been able to return there too often.

My questions are:
Could the brother be looking to remove my wife as one of the executors, or under what conditions could that happen.
Having checked with the GOV website I cannot see the will showing as entered probate yet, perhaps it appear later ?
Can we read the will online somewhere ?
If we use the GOV website and apply to see the will. Will it show the solicitors details.

Any other advice would be appreciated

Thank you.

Barry

Comments

• jimmy_cricket
    Options
    My wife is a joint executor of her mother’s will, along with her brother. Her younger sister is not listed as an executor. The brother is dealing with the legal stuff and has the will. The brother made all the funeral arrangements which has taken place.

Currently the brother is refusing to give details of the solicitor who is holding the will but has said that he and my wife are joint executors and the solicitor will be in touch. Even though the solicitor does not have our address or contact details, maybe up to the brother to supply them, (if he chooses to) who knows ! The brother said that it was his own solicitor that was dealing with things, but we don’t know who they are.

I am wondering if my brother is not divulging the solicitor details so that perhaps my wife could be removed as an executor ?

My wife’s brother and sister have fallen out with my wife and almost refuse to have almost any communication with her, possibly due to the fact that the mother died in hospital (she had a weak heart and was very poorly) and both the sister and brother were trying to get her well enough to return and die at home. Something my wife was against as the home was not suitable for her to continue living in, in her condition.

The brother appears aggressive over the phone when he does speak to my wife after she rings him.

There are various items of value such as jewellery and the sale value of the house. The jewellery has been removed by the brother.

My wife and I have helped partially clear the house but as we are 5 hours drive away we have not been able to return there too often.

My questions are:
    Could the brother be looking to remove my wife as one of the executors, or under what conditions could that happen.very difficult to do and can only be done by a court on specific grounds (I know as this is what I am planning to do, but know it will be expensive and drawn out
    Having checked with the GOV website I cannot see the will showing as entered probate yet, perhaps it appear later ? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]all executors have to sign the probate forms and be in attendance for the interview[/COLOR]
    Can we read the will online somewhere ? [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]only when probate has been granted[/COLOR]
    If we use the GOV website and apply to see the will. Will it show the solicitors details

Any other advice would be appreciated

Thank you.

Barry

Sorry, for your wife's loss.

I am going through something similar, but for me, the other executor is refusing to deal with anything, so finding it impossible to finalise the estate. I've put my two pennorth worth above, hope it helps
  • barrytiptree
    Options
    Hi Jimmy, Sorry for your loss too, thanks for the info.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It' s quite dificult to remove someone as an executor and unlikely that this is what he is planning.

You won't be able to find the will/probate yet as probate is grated after the executors apply for it. Your wife will need to sign and sweara a probate oath and the oath has to have a copy of the will with it, as she will also have to sign the front of the will to confirm that it is the one for which she (and her brother) are applying for probate.

A month isn't very long, and while it may be that your brother in law is being awkward, it's also possible that he is grieving in a different way than yor wie and his ability to cope with things is moving at a diferent speed.

It might be worth your wife sending him a letter r e-mail saying something like 'I know you mentioned that the solicitor would contactme - as we are joint executors we should really be making a joitn decision abotu which solicitor to use and how to proceed, so please could you give me the details of the person you propose we use with a view to us agreing on this. I'd like the time to consider before we apppooint someone so it will avoid delay if you let e have thier details sooner rather than later"
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    The brother needs to be brought to account. As an executor he has to act properly and for the benefit of the estate not himself. I suggest a a polite but firm letter pointing out his responsibilities and asking him to get in touch so that proper arrangements can be made to execute the will. If that does not produce results then a letter saying that an application to the court. Only do this if you are prepared to take that action.
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    It would not surprise me if your wife's brother did request your wife 'renounce' probate, not only because of their poor relationship but because she does not live nearby.

It will be inconvenient to administer the estate with joint executors when one of them lives 5 hours away. A lot of the work cannot be done over the phone or the internet but involves face-to-face meetings with bank officials, solicitors and estate agents who will be reluctant to act without both executors present and singing from the same hymn-sheet.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 1 October 2016 at 9:24AM
    Options
    If the brother is really handing this over to a solicitor they should not go ahead without contacting you to confirm you are in agreement.

If he is planning to try something alone then the probate office should pick up the need for your consent to you not acting.

Both of those are should and not unknown for the checks not to happen properly(eg forged signature on a renounce or power reserved)

One practical option you have is caveat
    https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/stopping-a-grant-of-representation

as relationships are stained once he realises this won't help but gives a bit of time to try and get some comunications before going if with threats.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    konark wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if your wife's brother did request your wife 'renounce' probate, not only because of their poor relationship but because she does not live nearby.

It will be inconvenient to administer the estate with joint executors when one of them lives 5 hours away. A lot of the work cannot be done over the phone or the internet but involves face-to-face meetings with bank officials, solicitors and estate agents who will be reluctant to act without both executors present and singing from the same hymn-sheet.

...further to the above -it is possible to effectively remove an executor by applying for probate listing that executor as "with power reserved" -I did this for my mother's estate with the full knowledge and approval of the other (three) executors - but they didn't actually have to sign or acknowledge anything - I swore the oath and listed on the paperwork was a statement that I had informed the other executors in writing - but NO checks on my honesty !
    So it would be possible to obtain probate and distribute the estate in theory without the knowledge of a second executor.
  • barrytiptree
    Options
    Hi
    Many thanks for the info, very useful to know. I'm very willing to travel back to London any time to help organise things and I will make that clear to all relatives.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Is it possible to stay in the house?

This may be one of those situations where a week(long weekend) off and some face to face time might assist,

You can give lots of help with clearing the house go into the solicitors.

it won't be a holiday and use up some time but it is a one off and may help you move on with the rest of your lives much quicker.
  • barrytiptree
    Options
    Hi, Both myself and my wife have been to the house to help clear things over one weekend.
    We are aiming to go up for a weekend soon and will arrange to meet the other executor there, if he agrees to show up. We are always very polite and friendly to all relatives concerned, will continue trying to be nice to everyone. We don't want to go ahead and force issues (asking, as we don't known them, the Brother's solicitors details and viewing the will) yet, we are a bit wary of what the brother maybe planning and we are hoping that our fears are false ones.
    Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport