Huge US medical bill

Options

Comments

• pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you to the OP.

I have just phoned my insurers to update my pre existing conditions info as I have been diagnosed with a UTI during the past year.
    Like him I had assumed that because I had been diagnosed by the GP and prescribed antibiotics and recovered that I didn't need to tell them...but I did and all sorted now.
    Off to the US on Monday so I could have found myself in the same position.

Thanks again and sorry about your experience.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    To be clear, I meant " does not need to be declared as a pre-existing condition ". Of course if you are asked about any treatment received, this needs to be answered appropriately.
    A short lived illness that has cleared up with treatment is not a pre-existing condition.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    My apologies, my computer is messing about, posted the last reply late, and won't allow editing. Clearly, some insurance companies put a different interpretation on ' pre-existing condition ' to the one I have used in the NHS for a working lifetime.
    I now look forward to ringing my insurers and telling them every time I visit the GP, just to be sure.
    I did not mean to mislead anyone.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    To be clear, I meant " does not need to be declared as a pre-existing condition ". Of course if you are asked about any treatment received, this needs to be answered appropriately.
    A short lived illness that has cleared up with treatment is not a pre-existing condition.

I have a tendency to get UTI's just as I am going on holiday. It has caused trouble on previous trips. When I last renewed my annual policy, I did opt to declare it and was asked questions about the number of occurrences, the severity (ie did it progress to kidney infection) and whether I had been admitted to hospital. Fortunately I could say no to the extra questions.
    I have managed to get a short course of AB's from the GP to take as a back up. If I have that, I feel more I control and usually don't need them.
    I would definitely do this if going to the US.
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2017 at 10:44AM
    Options
    gregston wrote: »
    Hi
    On a visit to the US earlier this year, my wife became unwell. She guessed it was probably a urinary infection that could be cleared by antibiotics. We asked at a pharmacy but they couldn’t sell us anything or advise us where to go. Since we were near the Vermont University Medical Centre, we thought it was worth seeing if it was possible to buy some antibiotics there to knock it on the head.
    We were directed to the reception where my wife explained the problem and was made to follow a procedure of waiting, seeing a clerical person to declare weight, height, etc, being asked to put on a gown and lie down in a consulting room, seeing a doctor, seeing someone else about giving more admin details, seeing a nurse with tablets, and then getting a prescription for antibiotics. She asked several times how much this was going to cost, but no one would give any indication at all. Nor did anyone there suggest an alternative place to go. We were relieved to be charged only $5 for the prescription and the tablets cleared up the problem. However, several weeks later we were horrified to receive a bill from the hospital for $896.97 for hospital services and $416 for physician services – totalling $1,312.97. We would never have agreed to see a doctor at the hospital if we had known the cost.
    We have two questions:
    1) Our insurers have refused to pay the amount, saying that it is a pre-existing condition and should have been declared when taking out the insurance. However, we do not consider this a ‘condition’, rather it is something that people get sometimes, and we were able to send the insurers a note from her GP saying my wife has only had one case of confirmed urinary infection in the last year. Can we argue this any further?
    2) If we are unable to get the money back from the insurers, do we have any redress from the hospital for charging an extortionate amount, having refused at the time to give any idea of the costs? Or what is the likely outcome if we simply don't pay?
    If you don't own property in the US I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 99% sure the hospital won't go after you in the UK. It's a lot easier to write it off and have the US taxpayers pick up the bill.
    Next time look for a walk in clinic like Urgent Care.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SnooksNJ wrote: »
    If you don't own property in the US I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 99% sure the hospital won't go after you in the UK. It's a lot easier to write it off and have the US taxpayers pick up the bill.
    Next time look for a walk in clinic like Urgent Care.

How are the US taxpayers picking up the bill for a private hospital?
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    They may or may not chase you for a relatively small amount (did you give the hospital your UK address?)

One thing I'm fairly sure about, however, is that you'll never be able to go back to America unless you cough up first.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One thing I'm fairly sure about, however, is that you'll never be able to go back to America unless you cough up first.

Thankfully, not even the USA has the kind of laws on indebtedness that are found in Saudi Arabia. Something like this would not be an issue for a visit, although it might cause problems with opening bank accounts and things there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I see your online dope internet forum and raise it with a study from Harvard Medical School which says there is no harm in taking antibiotics in tablet form a decade after expiration date.
    Most other drugs in tablet form are perfectly usable even 15 years later.
    Oh and my kid brother is an orthopedic surgeon says it's nonsense too.
    It's like taking a ten-year-old aspirin.Nothing has changed in it since the day it was made.
    It's nonsense peddled by pharmaceutical companies and doctors who have a vested and financial interest in perpetuating the myth.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything&ved=0ahUKEwic0N_6-vjVAhXCZFAKHV4IBTsQFggwMAI&usg=AFQjCNHeM_zoYGDRrnyqAVfBu4M6krBgRw

Mrs Tom The Great Sebastian's chest infection last week cleared up within a couple of days of using my 10-year-old antibiotics.
    The magic blue pills work wonders again.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alternatively, it was a virus that cleared up by itself and your self-medication had nothing to do with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure