Advice regarding car insurance renewals/cancellation

Options
Hey,

My car insurance (1st central) was up for renewal on 20th September, with a price rise of £450! Due to a few different reasons I was unable to shop around for a new policy, however I have since found a policy for cheaper than last years and purchased this policy today.

I have tried contacting 1st central today to cancel the policy and told them I do not want to go ahead with their renewal. They have told me they want to charge me £50 admin charge and £7 for two days policy.

Is this the case? They have not yet taken a payment from me for this years policy. And on an email I have received it states that if they can not take payment for whatever reason then they will see this as I don't want to continue with my renewal and they will cancel the renewal. So surely that way I will not have to pay the £50 admin charge? I have cancelled the direct debit yesterday and taken all funds from the account. On my 1stcentral account it states payment is due 22nd.

Hope you can understand this and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    If they have renewed the policy (which they have, if they've given you two days cover) then they can charge a fee to cancel.
  • Gemmalou1506
    Options
    If your first monthly payment is unable to be collected for any reason, we'll take this to mean you'd not prefer to continue your car insurance with us and we'll cancel your policy with effect from the renewal date.

That's what it states in the email. They have yet to take payment so if they don't then surely it means it hasn't been renewed?
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Remind them their own email states this, you've followed this therefore you feel you owe nothing.

See how you get on.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    You might get the admin fee waived but they won't (and rightly so) waive the £7 for two days time on cover.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure