Chicken Pox TONIGHT holiday in the MORNING!!

Options
My 4 year appears to be rapidly developing spots.

The 4 of us are due to fly at midday for a skiing holiday. We have a annual travel policy (with winter sports). It has a £4k claim limit which is not the full cost of the holiday (i know!!, unless I luck out and that is per person).

Will I be covered for canceling all of us because of chicken pox (is it serious enough to do this?)

If 2 of us go will the policy pay out for 2 to stay?

Can't get anyone on the phone now.

Comments

• PrivateClients
    Options
    It's late and nobody else has answered so thought I might chime in with a couple of points to consider:

- A lot of airlines don't allow you to travel during the contagious stage of chicken pox - if the spots have just come on its probably still contagious. Often you need a doctor's note to say you are healthy enough to fly. Also chicken pox can be serious for some people even if most people handle it just fine.
    - Check your policy but cancellation costs on a family/joint policy should normally be per person.
    - Are you certain it's chicken pox and not some other type of rash? Can be difficult to say for certain without a medical diagnosis. If you have urgent care centre nearby it could be worth trying to get a walk in appointment tomorrow morning.
    - Might be worth contacting the airline to see what they say and let them take the decision out of your hands if they say they won't let you fly.
    Lloyds broker working in Private Clients and Property Owners.

Looking to help and be helped.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for replying, just trying to work out options, it helps.

flybe aren't open till the morning I found 1 tweet reply form them saying flying with CP is a no no (at the moment it would not be noticed by anyone, but might be for the flight home).

We'll get her in front of a doctor in the morning by hook or by crook (we have contacts), wouldn't normally bother but will need the certificate for insurance, and as you say different people have different levels of symptoms with CP.

If it proves not to be CP (seems unlikely, a retired Health Visitor has seen her) then I've checked out flights for Sunday or Monday and they are not too pricey.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think chickenpox is contagious until the spots are all fully scabbed over, which is a few days after they appear and they can take a few days to all fully erupt - so if I'm remembering correctly, the little one might be contagious for a few days yet.

It may well be that the airline have restrictions on travel with such infectious diseases. My husband is immunosuppressed just now and if he'd been sat next to the child, he'd need to be hospitalised - as it's very dangerous for such people, although he's clearly taking evasive manoeuvres to protect himself.

Sorry this is going to potentially mess up your family holiday. No one can give you any reliable answers until you hit the phones tomorrow and see medics. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure