Halifax Scottish Widows Mis Selling

Options
Hi all

A few weeks ago I received a letter from Halifax stating that they are aware they have mis sold some Scottish Widows policies in relation to a mortgage I had and if found to be mis sold then compensation will be due. The letter asks me to call them to discuss?

I then received a phone call from a London number ( 020 3310 7700) claiming to be Halifax and wanting to discuss a *Personal* matter with me but first would I confirm a few details.

I point blank refused as, at the time I didn't have my current mobile number, so I wondered how they got in touch with me, but also I wasn't going to confirm any details until they could prove who they were.

I am aware that there has been a mis selling scandal with SW and the banks but has anyone else on here had the same thing?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The letter asks me to call them to discuss?

You have the letter. So, we cant answer that.
    I am aware that there has been a mis selling scandal with SW and the banks but has anyone else on here had the same thing?

These are going out all over the place with the banks. It doesnt mean you have been mis-sold but you fall within a type that may have been. e.g. they have found that 20% of people may have been mis-sold a type of policy and are therefore writing to all to offer a review.

Being difficult serves no purpose.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I couple of points on this.

Scottish Widows is a life office. That means it is not PPI.

Until it was bailed out by Lloyds following the credit crunch, Halifax had nothing to do with Scottish Widows. Since then it has because Lloyds owns Scottish Widows.

There are also various reports on the net suggesting people consider the number you quote to be suspicious.

You could try calling 03450725555. This is the number that the Financial Conduct Authority has on its register as the one for complaints about Halifax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure