Saving for the big day - 3rd June 2017

Options
I'm a long time lurker on this wonderful forum and have spent many hours reading through people's diaries, savings, dfw and mfw. I find it a great way to pick up tips for how we can shave a few £'s off our monthly spends.

My OH and I got engaged in May 2015 and have now set a date and booked our venue, very exciting! We are receiving very generous gifts from both of our parents towards the cost, but have worked out we need to save £10,000 to cover everything else, this includes a rather large contingency fund also. We would like to have the money all saved a couple of months before the big day (we don't have to pay the venue bill until 10 days before!) so are aiming for the end of April 2017. The official saving starts at the end of February when we both get paid as we have a week's break at Center Parcs at the end of this month which will probably be quite expensive.

That's 15 months to save £10,000 = £666.66 per month.
This is the minimum we will be aiming for, in theory we should be able to save quite a bit more than this as we have got our costs down lots in the past few months and can now afford to live off just one salary, leaving the other salary to all be saved. That's the plan anyway!

We've set up a new savings account specifically for the wedding fund and have opened it with a whopping £1, so only £9,999 to go :rotfl:

I want to try and make a bit of a start now so am thinking of ways to pump more cash into the account.
- I've listed a few bits on eBay this afternoon, it's not much but every penny counts! All proceeds will go to the wedding fund.
- Overtime at work. It's not available very often but is paid at time and a half when it is so ill jump on any opportunities that arise.
- Prolific Academic. This is the the only survey type page I have the patience to use. The amount per survey is fairly reasonable for a few mins work and I've regularly cashed out £10+ per month.

I plan to use this diary to keep track of our savings and keep me motivated along the way. Feel free to stop by and say hi!

Running total £1
Amount to target £9999
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow, your day sounds like it is going to be amazing. Well done you for planning so hard. Welcome this is going to be a fun diary and will end in a happily ever after. Hugs, swx
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Halloooooo, how's it going?
  • Keith1985
    Options
    Not much to report just yet, but thought I'd pop by to check in. We had a great holiday to Center Parcs at the end of January. My fianc! starts a new job tomorrow with a bit of a payrise which will be handy, and I've applied for a promotion also which I'm quite hopeful for so things are looking good.

Nothing else saved into the wedding fund yet, that will happen on payday at the end of this month. I didn't get any takers for the few bits I put on eBay so have taken them to the charity shop. My OH is clearing out her wardrobe today so we might put a few more bits on there to make a few quid.

Looking forward to payday and making the first decent payment to the wedding fund!
  • Keiths1985
    Options
    It's payday today so we have transferred a healthy £700 to our wedding savings account. It's great to finally get this started and I'm looking forward to seeing this gradually grow.

Amount saved £701
    Amount to go £9,299
    “If you can dream it, you can do it” Walt Disney
  • Keith1985
    Keith1985 Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2016 at 10:21AM
    Options
    Another £700 into the wedding fund yesterday. My lovely parents have said they will contribute a rather significant amount towards the day which is great! We have paid the deposit for the photographer this month but I paid it from my 'normal' monthly money as I didn't want to see the wedding fund going down!

Amount saved £1401
    Amount to go £8599
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Fab amount. Well done.
  • Keiths1985
    Keiths1985 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, every penny counts!!
    “If you can dream it, you can do it” Walt Disney
  • Mind_Game
    Mind_Game Posts: 32 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wonderful! You're making such good inroads.
    Broke.
    Current goal: Back in four figures by May.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure