Can an employer cancel Easter holidays?

Options
2»

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Theres nothing there that says you will get those days off, only that they are counted as holiday
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Theres nothing there that says you will get those days off, only that they are counted as holiday

It says you are entitled to 28 days including bank holidays. It then lists the bank holidays they recognise which include Easter. Seems straight forward to me.
  • suki1964
    Options
    Not really as you often get other bank holidays added in, jubilee for example, they are saying they don!!!8217;t recognise those

Same here in NI, we have 10 bank holidays but only 8 are given as holiday
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Contract isn't very well drafted. Arguably if it names the days you would think those days would be contractual; otherwise why name them?

In theory employers can cancel leave if they give you sufficient notice, but if you've booked something and you would suffer a loss as a result you probably would have a legal claim.

If there's no loss to you then it's a bit tenuous imho, although if you all dig your heals in you might get somewhere.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Options
    n1guy wrote: »
    It says you are entitled to 28 days including bank holidays. It then lists the bank holidays they recognise which include Easter. Seems straight forward to me.

It states they are bank holidays not that you can take them on that day/days
    When my partner worked the ONLY day that was a total shutdown was Christmas day.Every other bank holiday was worked with standard pay rate and a day was given to replace it
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    If I were you I'd take the contract down as you can see your employers name on it.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not really as you often get other bank holidays added in, jubilee for example, they are saying they don!!!8217;t recognise those

Same here in NI, we have 10 bank holidays but only 8 are given as holiday

The op is based in Northern Ireland.
  • suki1964
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    The op is based in Northern Ireland.

Well there you go :)

See St Ptricks day and the 12th are also holidays but I've never known anyone to get them off unless they book annual leave , even the schools open. That list is showing which holidays that particular firm count as bank holidays towards holiday pay, but as the OP is finding out, they don't mean you get them off

The only bank holiday I've ever been gaurenteed off whilst living here is Christmas Day. All the other days are subject to the needs of the business , and this year we are too busy so we have to work

Same as DH. He's only on a 3 day week usually, but Easter, he's putting in a full week as they also are busy
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well there you go :)

See St Ptricks day and the 12th are also holidays but I've never known anyone to get them off unless they book annual leave , even the schools open. That list is showing which holidays that particular firm count as bank holidays towards holiday pay, but as the OP is finding out, they don't mean you get them off

The only bank holiday I've ever been gaurenteed off whilst living here is Christmas Day. All the other days are subject to the needs of the business , and this year we are too busy so we have to work

Same as DH. He's only on a 3 day week usually, but Easter, he's putting in a full week as they also are busy

Well I’m working 20 years now at a variety of firms. Never once have I worked St Patrick’s day, or 12th July, or Easter for that matter.

The firms close down so everyone is off.

The way my holidays have always been is the days above stated but the rest of the days I get 2 weeks Christmas and 2 weeks July
  • suki1964
    Options
    n1guy wrote: »
    Well I’m working 20 years now at a variety of firms. Never once have I worked St Patrick’s day, or 12th July, or Easter for that matter.

The firms close down so everyone is off.

The way my holidays have always been is the days above stated but the rest of the days I get 2 weeks Christmas and 2 weeks July

There's fewer and fewer businesses doing the two week closures now. DH is a builder, not even he gets the two weeks nor the 12th anymore

Times are a changing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport