Holiday Companies charges for using credit card.

Options
I'm about to pay for a holiday with Thomson, on a credit card.
They are charging me 2% for the privilege(58 quid)I then want to do a balance transfer onto another card(30 quid).Anybody know a better way. Cheers

Comments

• yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    They are not charging you "for the privilege" - they are just passing on some of the charge that the credit card company imposes on them.
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    A cheaper way is to pay using a debit card, for which there normally aren't additional charges, because the travel agent/holiday company doesn't pay such high charges as with a credit card. Or cash, and then you can sometimes get an additional discount. You lose all extra insurance cover that you'd get by using a credit card, (or VISA debit, I think) though.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Alias_Omega
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
  • pippitypop
    Options
    Why do you need to do a balance transfer? Personally, I'd pay by credit card for the extra card benefits - likely a Tesco CC where I'd get Clubcard points back, or perhaps on a Virgin Atlantic CC where I'd earn Airmiles.
    Thanks to everyone for the comp links
    Challenges: Debt Free 2014 £1,000/£20,000
    MFW'14: 0/£75,000
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pippitypop wrote: »
    Why do you need to do a balance transfer? Personally, I'd pay by credit card for the extra card benefits - likely a Tesco CC where I'd get Clubcard points back, or perhaps on a Virgin Atlantic CC where I'd earn Airmiles.

Think it likely OP wants to go on holiday and not pay for it upfront but rather over the length of the BT 0% period
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm about to pay for a holiday with Thomson, on a credit card.
    They are charging me 2% for the privilege(58 quid)I then want to do a balance transfer onto another card(30 quid).Anybody know a better way.
    Get a card with 0% on purchases, pay by it and save 30 quid.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    A cheaper way is to pay using a debit card, for which there normally aren't additional charges, because the travel agent/holiday company doesn't pay such high charges as with a credit card.

Credit Card fees are typically a percentage
    Debit card fees are typically a fixed amount

Hence vendors charge you a percentage for paying by credit card.
    You lose all extra insurance cover that you'd get by using a credit card, (or VISA debit, I think) though.
    There is no automatic "insurance" by using a credit or debit card unless your explicit card provides travel insurance.

With a Credit Card there is Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act that provides some statutory protection but this is not insurance and is not a suitable replacement for travel insurance with it only covering breach of contract from the company you pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure