Snow Day Rights

Options
articlealert2_banner.gif
Hi all, we have a new Snow Day Rights guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Thanks for your help,
MSE Megan F
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Never heard of it.

Thats because its a complete non story - you have no specific "Snow Day Rights".

If you cant make it in, your employer can dock you a days pay, they're not obliged to pay you OR let you take annual leave.

Ridiculous frankly, that its being given a name - it simply encourages people to not bother.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    to be fare it is about your rights should a "snow day" happen,

Shame they got them wrong in the article.

eg.
    If you can't get to work because of disruption your employer can ask to you take time off as holiday, but the Government says it has to give you notice of at least twice as long as it wants you to take off. So if it wants you to take a day as holiday you'd need two days' notice.

In some cases you may be entitled to even more notice - check your employment contract to be sure.

The contract can override the statutory notice to Zero to take holidays.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Never heard of it.

Sure you have... In Canada.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Working in retail when it snows the day drags as people stay at home.

I remember the winter of 2010/11, they asked colleagues to go home a couple of hours unpaid early or not to come in for a day - unpaid
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Working in retail when it snows the day drags as people stay at home.

I remember the winter of 2010/11, they asked colleagues to go home a couple of hours unpaid early or not to come in for a day - unpaid

I remember well the winter of 62/63 and for 4 days walking 8 miles to work and back again. That was what you call a winter in this country;)
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Options
    If you can't get to work because of disruption your employer can ask to you take time off as holiday, but the Government says it has to give you notice of at least twice as long as it wants you to take off. So if it wants you to take a day as holiday you'd need two days' notice.

In some cases you may be entitled to even more notice - check your employment contract to be sure.

I had to giggle at this. Imagine the conversation.

"you didn't come in yesterday because of the snow, do you want to take it as leave?"

"Moneysavingexpert says you've got to give me 2 days notice to to enforce leave!"

"we'll book you as unauthorised absence then without pay. See you at the managing attendance meeting."
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Some geniune feedback. You are not allowed unpaid leave to look after your child (if, for example, their school is shut). You are allowed UL to arrange cover to look after your child. If their school is shut for more than a day, you are supposed to have used the first day to make such arrangements. It's exactly the same if your child is sick - we get frequent posts on this board from parents who fail to appreciate the difference between their right to take a day to arrange emergency care and their assumed but non-existent right to at home to look after their child for the period of sickness.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    I remember well the winter of 62/63 and for 4 days walking 8 miles to work and back again. That was what you call a winter in this country;)

and the schools didn't close !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    and the schools didn't close !

So true,our oldest son not only had school every day but also had cross country running every Thursday in just shorts,vest and plimsolls.
    Kids and adults were tough in those days:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure