Letter from Hillside Services

Options
I received a letter from Hillside Services limited addressed to 'The Occupier' saying that there is a message waiting for me and that I should phone the number on the letter, quote a code and listen to it.

I put the companies name into google and it seems to be a debt recovery agency. I have no credit problems at all but the previous owner of my flat did (I have owned this for 3 years) - I keep getting 'consolidate your loan' letters and last year the council sent one saying that they would set a debt recovery agency on the previous owner if a library book wasnt returned (a quick phone call sorted that out).

Has anyone heard of this company and should I call the number on Monday or just leave it? I am tempted to call just to see what its about to be honest.

Comments

• yung
    yung Posts: 700 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you have not got any debt problem then return the letter back to sender, whenever I get junk mail I rip the letter and send them back in the Pre paid envellop
    Yung
    Early Retiree debt & stress free. and Joined the SKI club:j

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    I always bin anything addressed to 'the occupier'. Even if it is a DCA surely they'd have your name at least.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ignore it KTF - Debt Collection Agencies are well known for the underhanded techniques that they employ in their quest to spread misery, but sending out 'random mailshots' in the hope that they will find some poor soul stupid enough to put their hand up and say 'I would like to give you an early Christmas Present' takes the biscuit.
    If they are looking for you they should have the common decency to write to you by name.
    Bin it - these people are the lowest of the low. :mad: :mad:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    I bet it isn't a Freephone 0800 number either that they want you to ring.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    someone else here had a letter from them couple of weeks back...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=312810
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think generally these are a come on. And the number you have to phone is premium rate as well. It may be worth you getting your credit file, to see whether there are still issues with your address. If there are then you can put a not on your file saying that mr/mrs/miss x no longer lives at your address
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    I work for a DCA and we send out letters in the name of the Occupier to try and "chase" the debtor, it is a ploy to get people to ring up and give their names or find out details of the people who lived at the property previously.

I say throw it in the bin as no DCA can pursue any debt that is in the name of the occupier
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. I will put the letter in the bin and see what happens next.
  • HokeyCokey_3
    Options
    I received a letter a couple of weeks ago from them. It was addressed to the occupier. The letter inside mentioned the name of a previous tenant ( more than four years ago!). I called them, told them that he was no longer here and that I had no forwarding address. They took the notes and I haven't heard from them since. They did ask for my name and telephone number but I refused to tell them any of my personal details.

I read somewhere, that it's advisable to inform these companies that the person they are looking for no longer resides at the address, to stop them from continually sending letters and calling. I begrudge paying for the call, but at least I haven't got the worry of someone turning up on my doorstep. I have seen that on the tele and they don't even seem to care if you are not the person they need and will come in, if you open the door!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure