Are Currys holding on to customer refunds

Options
Are Currys holding on to and delaying customer refunds.
In my case they seam to me to be doing just this.

I bought an item online and Currys agreed to collect it as it wasnt as described and didnt fit my needs. It to 8 days to get the collection and I was told that I would get a refund within 3-5 days.
Unfortunately that didnt happen so, I tried to complain:
- I tried to raise a PayPal claim but the email supplied to contact Currys on the PayPal site doesnt exist so email returned.
- so I phoned Currys to complain, as soon as the customer services person takes my order number she tells me I have an immediate email agreeing to make a refund, but this is over 20 days since I purchased, and 11 days after Currys picked up the item.
- So dont delay in making that complaint because Currys may not do anything about your refund until you complain like me.

Personally I think this is
- at the least just bad customer service
- at worst maybe Currys are trying to increase their cash flow by holding on to customers money.

poor show Currys

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Notcurrys wrote: »

No. .
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Everybody holds onto and delays refunds. It amazes me that it takes seconds to DEDUCT money from a credit or debit card but 3-5 days to put it back!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Everybody holds onto and delays refunds. It amazes me that it takes seconds to DEDUCT money from a credit or debit card but 3-5 days to put it back!

In one direction it's automated and optimised, the other includes more unknitting of records and bit more manual work - could be related?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    In one direction it's automated and optimised, the other includes more unknitting of records and bit more manual work - could be related?
    Agreed but they (suppliers and retailers) could carry out the manual work quicker. If you go into a major DIY place to take excess items back, they refund onto the card immediately and it is generally there next day. Of course all the time the suppliers and retailers hang on to your money the more interest they make given the huge interest rates at the moment!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agreed but they (suppliers and retailers) could carry out the manual work quicker. If you go into a major DIY place to take excess items back, they refund onto the card immediately and it is generally there next day. Of course all the time the suppliers and retailers hang on to your money the more interest they make given the huge interest rates at the moment!

It can depend on how long it’s been since the initial purchase. Card payments do not clear instantly in a retailer’s account, they go through a third party processing company meaning depending on bank holidays, weekends, and time of day purchased it could be up to four days before a payment clears (longer over the Christmas period with more bank holidays and non trading days involved). If the refund is done when it has had time to clear it will be quicker to clear back to the customer.

If you are physically in a store the card systems effectively just do a reversal of the original transaction if it’s the same day but after that it has to finish processing one way before it can be refunded, which again can take a few days.

Nobody would deliberately hang on to refund money, it is more hassle for them to hold on to it than get it back ASAP.

If the order was cancelled they have 14 days from the time it was returned to issue a refund.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

The money may be taken from your account immediately (in most cases) but it takes a few days for the retailer to actually receive that money, so they aren't getting the money instantly. Also don't forget some card transactions take a few days to actually take the money from your account.

The only reason it actually comes from your available balance immediately (in most cases) is so you don't spend the money on other things!.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Notcurrys wrote: »
    In my case they seam to me to be doing just this.

I bought an item online and Currys agreed to collect it as it wasnt as described and didnt fit my needs. It to 8 days to get the collection and I was told that I would get a refund within 3-5 days.
    Unfortunately that didnt happen so, I tried to complain:
    - I tried to raise a PayPal claim but the email supplied to contact Currys on the PayPal site doesnt exist so email returned.
    - so I phoned Currys to complain, as soon as the customer services person takes my order number she tells me I have an immediate email agreeing to make a refund, but this is over 20 days since I purchased, and 11 days after Currys picked up the item.
    - So dont delay in making that complaint because Currys may not do anything about your refund until you complain like me.

Personally I think this is
    - at the least just bad customer service
    - at worst maybe Currys are trying to increase their cash flow by holding on to customers money.

poor show Currys

You didn't raise a claim then, you just tried to email them? If you raised a paypal claim then you would win by default if they don't respond
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure