Another year on and the company tradition is still alive!

Options

Comments

• xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2016 at 6:09PM
    Options
    In all honesty what I would do is this:

1. Create a new email account that can't be connected to you e.g. a gmail account.
    2. Send the MD's wife a link to this thread from the anonymous gmail account (don't send it from the office computer obviously).
    3. Sit back and wait for a climb down from the MD's wife

Anyone else agree with this idea? If the MD's wife is as thick skinned as she clearly is it will take a large weight of opinion from outsiders to make her realize that soliciting gifts for higher ups is in very poor taste.

Not being rude but thats just stupid. The MD's wife wouldnt care less about you not agreeing, she will have one sole desire and that will be to find the person who made the thread.

If something happens at YOUR place of work that you dont like and you vent on the forums, I DARE YOU to make an anonymous email account and forward it to your boss or manager. Have you ever done if before? I advise you dont tbh.

I guarantee you'll come to see the stupidity in doing what you suggested. But I agree, its easy to say when you bear no consequence.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I tend to agree but would it not be fun? I don't suppose there is anyone who intends to leave, anyway, (ideally, and emigrate) misterzim? If so, do you think they might oblige?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not being rude but thats just stupid. The MD's wife wouldnt care less about you not agreeing, she will have one sole desire and that will be to find the person who made the thread.

If something happens at YOUR place of work that you dont like and you vent on the forums, I DARE YOU to make an anonymous email account and forward it to your boss or manager. Have you ever done if before? I advise you dont tbh.

I guarantee you'll come to see the stupidity in doing what you suggested. But I agree, its easy to say when you bear no consequence.

I don't think there's much risk, but if the OP thinks there is then they can PM me the MD's wife's email address and I'll send the email, then there's no link between the OP and me and the wife can't do anything to harm me.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Unless it is his idea...

The OP says (post #27)

"The Directors, as far as I'm aware, don't ask for a gift"
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The OP says (post #27)

If it's become a 'tradition' then it would appear the Directors accept the gifts, to me this means they are complicit.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    The OP says (post #27)

They are obviously well aware and could easily stop this if they thought it was a bad idea.

Doesn't say much for their stewardship of this company.
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Timpu wrote: »
    If it's become a 'tradition' then it would appear the Directors accept the gifts, to me this means they are complicit.
    robatwork wrote: »
    They are obviously well aware and could easily stop this if they thought it was a bad idea.

Doesn't say much for their stewardship of this company.

I'd agree that they are aware that the "gifts" are given, but they may not be aware of the circumstances in which the money to pay for them is collected (although I'd agree with Rob's conclusion either way).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well if all the staff got a £700 Xmas bonus then chucking £5 in is not that bad in the great scheme of things.

I still think it's wrong that the MD wife thinks it is only because of the Directors that the company has been "successful" this year. Everywhere I worked they always say they success is down to the staff and without the staff the company wouldn't be a success etc.
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    As the MD's wife obviously has the skin of a rhinoceros and very little empathy with the workforce, I would suggest that when she appears at your desk with her envelope in her hot little hand, you simply say that as it's voluntary you don't do contributions to Directors' gifts at Christmas and follow it up with a "Bah humbug". ;):p
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • Cirias
    Cirias Posts: 68 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2016 at 2:45PM
    Options
    At my current company everyone gets a 10% bonus (up to 12% if you perform well), Christmas hamper and a Christmas meal (one at work and another outside of work). Plus the Managing Director personally buys a load of stollen and has a box given to every single department in both offices with a note from her.

It's like night and day reading about your experiences! I agree with you OP - refuse to contribute but soften the blow by saying you donate to charity instead, how could they criticise you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure