Should I snitch on cashback 'womble'?

Options

Comments

• Greveson
    Greveson Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    AngelsMadv wrote: »
    EDIT - On the flip side of this you'll probably get some Jobsworth like the OP who will grass you up purely because they didn't have the brains to do it themselves!

I agree with this. She's not harming the company. She should have kept her mouth shut about it; sounds more like the OP is jealous/annoyed that they aren't getting it, and want to spoil it for the person that is.
  • vpeake
    vpeake Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    hmmmmmmmm a weird one this week

is the card in her name and then she is refunded or is it in the company name?

if it is in her name i see no problem as it is her choice how she uses her card

if it is in the company name then there could be a case for missue or unapproved use of the card as she would have had to register it on a cashback website

also is this being accessed at work or at home?

if at work is she allowed to access these types of websites?

at home she can access whatever she likes

Account Holders must not enter into, or attempt to enter into, any transaction with a retailer or to gain Cashback (a) by providing personal information of someone else, or a payment method which they are not entitled to use, - taken from quidco

there is an argument that she is using another entities details and a card she does not have permission to use on the site

so after all that if it is the companies card used yes i would report it if it isnt then no i wouldnt

You don't have to register your card on a cashback website? They track the purchase through a referral link. They don't have access to the card details.
    :j:j:j
  • vpeake
    vpeake Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    EDIT - On the flip side of this you'll probably get some Jobsworth like the OP who will grass you up purely because they didn't have the brains to do it themselves!

Totally agree. What does the OP gain by snitching on someone? I'd do it if I could get away with it but companies don't really want to save money this way, they either want a straight discount or they're happy to pay over the odds for expenses whilst making people redundant at the same time.
    :j:j:j
  • bigdic
    bigdic Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    She's not costing the company any money so leave her to it. :j
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    It's unlikely the company could claim cashback legitimately so it's probably OK. However if she's booking more expensive rates to get the cashback it's iffy morally though I doubt legally.

At our work we are allowed to collect personal airmiles, etc when booking flights for work, the reason being that our organisation could not collect the airmiles themselves so they are not being deprived of anything. I would guess it's the same for cashback.

In a sense it's "extra" money so the company is not losing out. It seems unfair that she gets the cashback but sometimes life ain't fair. For all you know the bosses know about the cashback!!
  • emmaglet
    emmaglet Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it is just a perk of the job. My old company couldn't care less that I could book their train travel, hotels, etc via cashback sites and put the money to a staff kitty. They looked at me as if I were crazy!
    I like to make money
    Best wins: £3,000 luxury holiday, holiday in Cornwall, £250 Murad Skincare hamper, angle grinder

:j Make £10 a day challenger - it pays for trips to Florida! :j
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Why not simply ask your manager, or indeed your colleague? It's possible your company knows what your colleague is doing and she's doing nothing wrong. Maybe your colleague is already giving back the gain to the company.

If your colleague has the approval of your company, end of story. If they've not, your management are responsible for investigating it - not you.

All too often, people get the wrong end of the stick and start making a song and a dance (and in the process, make themselves look stupid) simply because they've not got the full facts.
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It's what any Mse would do surely. Cashback sites are an automatic now for me. Not costing the company anything so I don't see a problem tbh.
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • sachm0
    sachm0 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Honestly, why would anyone want to report this person to management? Nobody is being harmed, nothing is being lost - spite is the only reason I can think of.

In short, no, do not report her. And keep yourself to yourself in the future - the world will be a better place for it...
  • i4gotitonce
    Options
    Yes - it's tax fraud at the least.
    They are potentially gaining income from company activities without declaring it.
    If you look at it as a benefit such as health care or a car, then tax would be suffered accordingly.
    Even if the company is happy for the employee to do this, as it is done as a result of their employ then it could be construed as a benefit.
    Public sector organisations in particular have rules about this sort of thing such as points from using personal credit cards for purchases and then claiming back the cash, but then obviously receiving benefit in the form of the points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure