Don't know what course to do

Options
A long time ago, people always suggested joining the army if you were lost in life.
I'm told that's not the case anymore, besides, i'm getting old, now.

I need to take a course and learn some sort of skill so that I don't have to work like a slave in a factory for the rest of my working life.
I'm not very intelligent (so it needs to be fairly easy) and i'm not that bothered about money once qualified and working, as long as it's a little more than the minimum wage/horrid working conditions that I'm accustomed too.

Any good ideas?

Comments

• shopaholicz
    Options
    Why not look at what courses are available near you, in local colleges and private companies and then choose from them?
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!:smileyhea
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know why you claim to be "not very intelligent"? You write 100% better than MOST of the Posters on these boards! You clearly understand spelling, grammar etc, so what makes you feel so inadequate? I'm AWFUL at maths, but have two degree's to my name, so would hardly call myself daft, just numerically challenged!!!

I'd say it's your CONFIDENCE that needs a boost, not your brains - you can probably do whatever you set your heart on...

Good luck!
  • saintjammyswine
    Options
    I would go into your local College and speak to the advisers there about your options. They should also be able to make an appointment with the National Careers Service person that they deal with to give further career advice.
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    Options
    I've just signed up to a course through vision 2 learn. Why not have a look if something on their site takes your fancy?
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • devilivus
    devilivus Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    So your grammar is quite good.
    Maybe there's a job where having good grammar the main pre-requisite? Professional spell-checker!?
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    See if there's anything interesting in your local colleges prospectus?

I can't think of any ideas off hand though.

Payroll is probably quite difficult, although I imagine you could land an office job if you managed to get qualified which would pay more than minimum wage? Not sure what course that would be exactly tho
  • jacklink
    jacklink Posts: 778 Forumite
    Options
    jimmy2times, i find you post a little insulting, you say your not very bright and dont want to work in a factory like a slave, im sorry but millions of people work in factory's who dont want to be there, some very clever people work in factory's, they work in them coz its a job, its money.

get of your high horse jimmy
  • jimmy2times
    jimmy2times Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    jacklink wrote: »
    jimmy2times, i find you post a little insulting, you say your not very bright and dont want to work in a factory like a slave, im sorry but millions of people work in factory's who dont want to be there, some very clever people work in factory's, they work in them coz its a job, its money.

Sorry that you're insulted. Certainly wasn't my intention.
    I know that millions of people work in factories everyday who hate being there. If I hadn't made it clear in my OP, i've been one of them (on and off) for the last decade!

It's no life, though.
    devilivus wrote: »
    So your grammar is quite good.
    Maybe there's a job where having good grammar the main pre-requisite? Professional spell-checker!?

Professional spell-checker actually sounds like a job I wouldn't mind doing! Don't think it exists, though.
  • melysion
    melysion Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    jacklink wrote: »

There was nothing at all insulting about the OPs post. He isn't happy working in a factory, that's all. He wasn't inferring anything was wrong with working in a factory or with other people who work in them. He was talking about his own feelings and experiences.

To the OP - do you know what sort of job you might like to do? What is your dream job? I think you need to figure that out and find a course that will help you to realise that dream :)
  • jimmy2times
    Options
    melysion wrote: »

To the OP - do you know what sort of job you might like to do? What is your dream job? I think you need to figure that out and find a course that will help you to realise that dream :)

Well now we're at the likely root of the problem! (lack of brain power aside)

I've never had a clue. Not even an inkling. (other than pipedreams like being a pro footballer)

Lots of friends had strong career ideas all the way back in middle school. I think that focus helped them throughout life and most are now well into their careers and earning in a year what I would typically earn in about 6 years. I can't afford to do the things that they want to do for fun (expensive holidays etc). I keep telling them I need to find poorer friends!

I've taken work related personality tests etc, but they haven't really helped.
    It's brought me to this point (hence the OP) that I assume i'm never gonna find a job that I really *want* to do and that interests me, but maybe I CAN find something that I can get a qualification in and at least get better working conditions and more money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure