Car insurance claim as a third party

Options
Hi - I am not sure if this is the correct sub-group but I need some help with a third party claim on a car insurance. I hope you can help me with it.

Last October, the partner of my neighbour's daughter who were living with him at the time, reversed into my wall and damaged it quite a bit. He agreed to pay for the repairs and was going to claim this on his car insurance with AIG. A few weeks later, he said that it has all been arranged and someone was coming to repair it - i was incolved in discussions with the insurer or the company coming to rebuild the wall. I was told by my neighbour that they will put back the wall to the original state (I have this on a text message).
However, the people who came to do the repairs were not good and they did a really bad job + did not repair all the damages (where my wall was level before, it now has bumps!). I complained again to my neighbour and he said that he will sort it out. Since then the insurer has sent two surveyors to assess the wall and they both agreed that the work is not satisfactory. But to date i have not heard back from them at all about sorting this out.

My neighbour's daughter and partner have now moved away and he has not been able to get the insurer (AIG) to confirm what actions they are going to take now. I have also contacted AIG directly by email but no luck. I am now going to phone them this week.

My question is whether I should pay to repair the wall and then submit a claim via the court to AIG and/or my neighbour for the costs?

Your experience and comments about this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    letter before action and use money claim online to go through the small claims court. Hope you had photographic evidence before and after to support your claims as well, not necessary but helpful
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    letter before action and use money claim online to go through the small claims court. Hope you had photographic evidence before and after to support your claims as well, not necessary but helpful

If you do decide to sue them, then you take out the mcol against your neighbours. (Not the insurer).

The neighbours should then pass it on to the insurer to defend (or pay up) on behalf of the neighbours
  • Cassys2008
    Cassys2008 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I do have photos of the wall before the accident, the hole created and the damages caused and the partial repairs done. I will first try to settle this with my neighbour and if doesn't respond, then go through the small claims court. I really wanted to avoid involving the courts in this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure