Options
13»

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Although I have newer ones, my favourite PC is 16 years old running Windows XP.
    I like it because it runs all the old programmes I have got used to.
    But it struggles to load processor hungry web pages like this new google one.

Try it again, to see if you are also getting the old Google Finance! I had given up looking but it now seems to be back to normal.

I am normally on iPad, but my laptop is about the same age as yours. I gave up on XP years ago and converted to Linux. It has coped with everything the web throws at it so far.
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Anyone know what is going on now? I had missed this thread and was appalled at the new Google Finance site when it started. I don’t need the portfolio feature but do want to be able to look at individual stocks with the related news and general background. So I gave site feedback to Google (not that I expected that to make much difference).

But now the site seems to have gone back to its earlier version. Was this just a test or have they backed off for the moment?

Try on mobile. I suspect this will give you a better reflection of Google's long term plan. I suspect they are prioritizing developing the site for mobile, making it as simple and and uncluttered as possible for small screens, and development of the desktop version of the site to have a similar style probably lags behind.

At the moment, I can select a stock on mobile and see related news, but this does not currently happen when i pick the same stock on desktop.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ozaz wrote: »
    Try on mobile. I suspect this will give you a better reflection of Google's long term plan. I suspect they are prioritizing developing the site for mobile, making it as simple and and uncluttered as possible for small screens, and development of the desktop version of the site to have a similar style probably lags behind.

At the moment, I can select a stock on mobile and see related news, but this does not currently happen when i pick the same stock on desktop.

What I see on mobile is what I was seeing a couple of weeks ago on iPad. But iPad has gone back old version, with my stocks still there on the front page.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    Apodemus wrote: »
    Try it again, to see if you are also getting the old Google Finance! I had given up looking but it now seems to be back to normal.

I am normally on iPad, but my laptop is about the same age as yours. I gave up on XP years ago and converted to Linux. It has coped with everything the web throws at it so far.

Yep - Found it again thanks :T
    I prefer the old version and it certainly works better on my 16 yr old Windows XP PC.
    So I will continue to resist Microsoft urging me to buy and learn to use a whole new PC and set of their programmes :)
    Had enough of that with Windows 7 :mad:
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good app to track share prices?

I would look to add specific shares to a watch list or something so I can quickly see how my stocks are performing.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • dividendhero
    Options
    Google could always approach Barclays about how to setup a finance website
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business