PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2017 mega index/christmas chat!!!! Yes, it's early I know :)

Options

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Well I have decided what I am buying for my parents and the kids and their partners so a start. I'll start buying in earnest in September. Hampers for everyone and some money for the kids as well.

Thanks everyone for the ideas you're all stars :)
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Just read this on the 2016 thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71202556&postcount=165

and thought it was a good idea, so had a look and have just bought the Hairy Bikers twelve days of Christmas recipe book for £1.77 + P&P :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Mischiefmanaged
    Options
    Just starting to get bits and bobs for my mum and stepdads hamper. I've crocheted them and my sister a blanket each to start and there hamper will consist of loads of M and S treats that I can start to buy everyweek.
    Already bought my mum and sister some pj's bottoms and slippers in the sale from Primark. Went for a walk in the park yesterday and I had a competition with the kids to see who could collect the most fir (pine?) cones each for my planned Christmas display.
    On the lookout for a new tree. Really want a real one but hubby said no chance. Wouldn't normally take a blind bit of notice but we had a bad experience a couple of years ago and out tree was completely bald 2 weeks before Christmas. Now it's nearly August this is when I get really stuck in with the prep xx
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right I've gone and done it. I've ordered bottles and jars. I wanted to make myself some rhubarb and ginger gin (or vodka not sure which yet - never been a fan of gin but thought it sounded yummy) which led me to thinking about making it for gifts. Recipe I found suggests leaving for 6 months if possible but I'm guessing if I start now it will be just as good.
    I also have a stock of freezer blackberries - anyone got an alcohol recipe that could use them??
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elf06 wrote: »
    Right I've gone and done it. I've ordered bottles and jars. I wanted to make myself some rhubarb and ginger gin (or vodka not sure which yet - never been a fan of gin but thought it sounded yummy) which led me to thinking about making it for gifts. Recipe I found suggests leaving for 6 months if possible but I'm guessing if I start now it will be just as good.
    I also have a stock of freezer blackberries - anyone got an alcohol recipe that could use them??

I make a bramble vodka that's rather nice. About 300-350g of brambles, same or slightly less sugar, and a 75cl bottle of el cheap vodka. Sterilise bottles in a hot oven for 10 minutes, allow to cool, and then add ingredients and shake well. Store somewhere dark and cool, and shake once a week for a month. Remove the brambles (the drink gets a woody taste otherwise), and replace in dark cool place, shaking now and again. Near Christmas, decant into nice, sterilised bottles and enjoy! WARNIG: it's quit strong, so DON'T drive!! Can be diluted with fizzy wine of some sort - prosecco, champagne....

HTH

Axo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CHEAPSKATE that sounds perfect thank you! I bought 2 packs of HUGE blackberries for 20p each the other night! I think I have around 300-350g but will need to check.
    I'm really very pleased that I've managed to find 6x 500ml clip top bottles for just £8 online (I live in a small town so finding ANYTHING like that is difficult).
    That means I can make myself a bottle of something or 2 and have plenty for pressies! I'm thinking the BF's parents, maybe something for mine, my friend and a.n other lol

ETA I'm loving that we are 'diluting' with more alcohol hahahaha
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 August 2017 at 3:33PM
    Options
    :rotfl: What I meant to say was that it can be used like Chambord with said wines, it can be a bit sweet by itself!! :rotfl:
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    loving reading everyones christmas updates! i found my christmas craft collection the other day! i sorted out all my craft stuff months ago and totally forgot i had a christmas "section" so nearly wet myself with excitement!!!:rotfl::o
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    loving reading everyones christmas updates! i found my christmas craft collection the other day! i sorted out all my craft stuff months ago and totally forgot i had a christmas "section" so nearly wet myself with excitement!!!:rotfl::o

I love my Christmas craft collection :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been sorting out my 'Creation Station' that Hubby built me for my crafting bits and found a little Kilner bottle of Butterscotch Vodka from last years hampers :rotfl:

I have ordered new Christmas gift boxes for my festive fudge making too :j:j
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family