This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    As somebody who has been beating herself up about higher than normal 'non mindful' expenditure - it doesn't matter from time to time!

On a sunny day like today, a pub lunch is a real treat.

You can be frugal for the rest of the month!

Well I've just done the sums for the month ahead and even if I raid every saving pot I have I can't quite find the necessary to make us MF this month - so - I enjoyed my treat!

Came home and made a salt scrub with salt, coconut oil and a splash of essential oils as my skin was looking very 'tired'. It has worked brilliantly. Am now thinking as things run down I shall switch to more home made stuff - cheaper and better for me.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh, I like the sound of that, Watty - mind you, I have a lot of gifted cleansers and scrubs to use - I'm bad at using them, so there's *lots*!

You'll still be MF really soon, you know!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Watty1
    Options
    Meeting with planning consultant was £300 well spent. Even if we can't do what I would like. No chance of legally getting planning to build in field. Only option is to consider using the storage barn under permitted development rights as a house - but - it would be a very small house and whilst I quite like that idea I do see it is far too small to live in. :(
    Planning consultant suggested we take down the barn and the stables and start all over again building the lot more substantially and putting my office above one of them and sort out storage etc. Then later we could adapt what is there as holiday lets.
    Whilst this is all doable in theory I can't quite see it helping towards financial independence.
    Probably should have started this scheme 10 years ago (sigh).
    Will cost and research but it doesn't seem viable just now.

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dont be disheartened Watty. Sometimes it takes time to mull these things over. Whats for you wont go by ya.:beer:
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this your forever place, Watty? In which case, it would still be worthwhile - ten years isn't long when its not the only thing you're doing, and its not, not by a long chalk. But it won't help towards financial independence *now*, that must be true. In the future, however, these kinds of developments that you live very near are amazing - my mum's cousin lives about 50 mins outside Glasgow, and they have a very nice self catering cottage to rent out that's right next door to them. They get loads of repeat custom - I think its about 95% now - and they're in their 80s. The day to day physical work is done by somebody they hire, but they do a fair bit themselves - and that property has been "paying" them for all those years. Really worthwhile, and they only returned to this country about 30 years ago, they were probably older than you are now when they started up.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey Watty. How is Most Handsome?
  • Watty1
    Options
    Firegirl wrote: »
    Dont be disheartened Watty. Sometimes it takes time to mull these things over. Whats for you wont go by ya.

Thanks. This morning it occurs to me you are right. It does take time to mull this over. I had fallen into a trap of thinking it has to be "now" which of course it doesn't.

Karmacat wrote: »
    Is this your forever place, Watty? In which case, it would still be worthwhile - ten years isn't long when its not the only thing you're doing, and its not, not by a long chalk. But it won't help towards financial independence *now*, that must be true. In the future, however, these kinds of developments that you live very near are amazing - my mum's cousin lives about 50 mins outside Glasgow, and they have a very nice self catering cottage to rent out that's right next door to them. They get loads of repeat custom - I think its about 95% now - and they're in their 80s. The day to day physical work is done by somebody they hire, but they do a fair bit themselves - and that property has been "paying" them for all those years. Really worthwhile, and they only returned to this country about 30 years ago, they were probably older than you are now when they started up.

Like Firegirl's comments this got me thinking. I had been thinking very much all or nothing. This plan would have to be phased in as we won't get immediate planning permission for the holiday lets - so it is long term. But it could be contributing to our income later thus freeing up some cash for the shorter term.
    I think some of the very depressed thought patterns from earlier in the year where hanging over me. I still had the mindset of "life is nearly over" from when I was so depressed.
    So I am just going to put this idea in the pot for now.
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    Doing really well. Have had professional rider out 5 times now and the difference is wonderful. He is really growing in his confidence. A lot less silly scardy pony behaviour and yesterday he nearly accepted he could go into trot properly. She is making so much difference. Am delighted with her. She costs me £30 a session and Mr Watty says I should keep her on even when I get back on him so he had continued confidence growing sessions from her as she is doing so well with him.
    Am actually hoping to have a little hack on him myself later today :)

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Alchemilla wrote: »
    Watty1 wrote: »

Doing really well. Have had professional rider out 5 times now and the difference is wonderful. He is really growing in his confidence. A lot less silly scardy pony behaviour and yesterday he nearly accepted he could go into trot properly. She is making so much difference. Am delighted with her. She costs me £30 a session and Mr Watty says I should keep her on even when I get back on him so he had continued confidence growing sessions from her as she is doing so well with him.
    Am actually hoping to have a little hack on him myself later today :)

Fab news! :T
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Watty1
    Options
    Didn't go out for a ride. Ended up working and doing end of business year financials. Was focused on them to see how much I could take from business to use as a dividend to overpay this month.
    Now looking forward to making overpayment of £4000 later today :)

• Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    Watty I love how you to do it really is very motivational to me anyway 4k is massive dent on 26k as well your hunting that under 20k mark down fast go get it :]

Do you sacrifice a lot by making such big overpayments ? cars holidays food toys ect ect
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure