PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Beyond Frustrated!!!

Options
So, we're nearing exchange on the house we're buying, but I am beyond frustrated at how long this is taking. We were given a projected completion date of the end of August and we're now nearly 2 weeks into September. We're being held up by either the vendor or their solicitor not releasing information about insurance details for the underpinning that has been done to the property.

If our solicitor chases up and nothing happens, is there anything I can do? I feel like finding the vendor's phone number and asking her directly to hurry the hell up! She said she wanted a quick sale but it's either her, or her solicitor that are dragging their feet.

How does one calm their nerves in this situation!? I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall - phoning my solicitors every day for almost 2 weeks now and not getting anywhere. :mad:

Comments

• kates08
    Options
    Have you tried getting the EA to talk to them? Messages between solicitors are often a bit like Chinese whispers. When we were buying our current house we hit a stumbling block over our smaller than 10% deposit and it dragged on for 2 weeks. We made one call to the EA, who rang the seller (she didn't know what the hold up was as her solicitor hadn't even posed the question to her!). She immediately rang her solicitor and told them she was happy with our deposit and just wanted to exchange (only us and her in the chain) and we exchanged 2 days later.
  • Returntosender
    Options
    I've tried speaking to the EA but he says now that we've involved our solicitor in the query, he can no longer get involved!
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Is there a way of contacting your vendor direct? When I last moved there were a lot of delays caused by my vendors solicitor stating he was still awaiting numerous documents from my vendor, luckily I had a contact number and could speak directly to them. Everything their solicitor said he was waiting for had been sent WEEKS earlier! they'd had the sense to use recorded delivery and could tell them exactly when it was received by their office, ALL documents then miraculously arrived with my solicitor the following day :rotfl:

I've made it a point to get contact details from my vendor every single time I've moved, it's saved a huge amount of stress and delays on many occasions :D
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why the rush?

I understand you want to get in. But this is what gets to me every time I've moved. It all happens with an average time of 12 weeks from offer to completion. When did you offer?

Most of the time, the only stress that is caused by housebuying is by people in a mad rush for some unbeknown reason. Then the threats start and everyone starts pulling their hair out and chains fall apart.

When were you given a projected completion date (and why?). If it was a few weeks in, all it'll do is annoy you.

I'm buying at the moment and have to say, even with a chain of 6, it's all been fine so far. I'm fully expecting it all to go t**s up as soon as someone starts throwing deadlines into the mix. I'm just hoping to be in well before Christmas to avoid such shenanigans. If it was down to me, I'd be happy with January!

If you start chasing the vendor, you will just prob get their back up. They may be having second thoughts for all you know. The second you push, their decision is made.

Chill :) (I know it's hard!)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've tried speaking to the EA but he says now that we've involved our solicitor in the query, he can no longer get involved!

He's talking rubbish!!
  • Returntosender
    Returntosender Posts: 32 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 4:56PM
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Why the rush?

I understand you want to get in. But this is what gets to me every time I've moved. It all happens with an average time of 12 weeks from offer to completion. When did you offer?

Most of the time, the only stress that is caused by housebuying is by people in a mad rush for some unbeknown reason. Then the threats start and everyone starts pulling their hair out and chains fall apart.

When were you given a projected completion date (and why?). If it was a few weeks in, all it'll do is annoy you.

I'm buying at the moment and have to say, even with a chain of 6, it's all been fine so far. I'm fully expecting it all to go t**s up as soon as someone starts throwing deadlines into the mix. I'm just hoping to be in well before Christmas to avoid such shenanigans. If it was down to me, I'd be happy with January!

If you start chasing the vendor, you will just prob get their back up. They may be having second thoughts for all you know. The second you push, their decision is made.

Chill :) (I know it's hard!)
    We put our offer in on 23rd June and it was accepted on the 26th, but lowered our offer and had that accepted on 21st Aug - and there's no chain (first time buyers here) - we were given a projected completion date by the estate agent, I don't know why... I didn't ask.

I've just found the vendor's phone number on some documents - would I be within my rights to give her a call myself?

Thanks
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We put our offer in on 23rd June and it was accepted on the 26th, but lowered our offer and had that accepted on 21st Aug - and there's no chain (first time buyers here) - we were given a projected completion date by the estate agent, I don't know why... I didn't ask.

I've just found the vendor's phone number on some documents - would I be within my rights to give her a call myself?

Thanks

Doesn't matter if only one in the chain, it still averages around 12 weeks. As much needs doing as if there were 6 (okay, you might avoid probs, but always base it on 12 weeks-ish).

The EA was talking out of his @rse (as they often do). August was very optimistic. Your solicitor would be the one to advise on that, not the EA. You're hanging on way too much on what the EA says.

Absolutely not - don't ring. I'd be livid. If they've not given it to you, don't ring them (nor send them FB messages as we've had on here before!). Arrange another viewing and talk to them if you like - that might speed them up, or you may find another problem they're not telling you about.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Fiesto88
    Options
    I would be more inclined to ask the EA to call the vendor to see if they've heard from their conveyancer. Surely they can't have some daft excuse not to do that much.

We're in contact with our vendor but they're using an online EA so direct contact was initiated right at the beginning - and even so, I have to steel myself before contacting them as I always worry that it'll be one nag too many and they'll get annoyed.
  • ThePants999
    Options
    As Surrey_EA said, this is a total lie. Tell him that you're considering pulling out, and watch him jump all over this.
    There's no such concepts as "rights" when it comes to talking to someone. The real question is, what will happen if you do? Hard to predict, so I'd exhaust other avenues first. But if I felt I'd hit a dead end with the solicitors and the EA, I'd go for it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    While ringing the vendor could be of benefit.., if they are odd people like me, they might hate a phone call - from anyone. It hasn't actually been that long. I know that may not be what you want to hear.

But I agree.., your EA is talking nonsense. I probably would be asking to clarify what he said with the manager. This is when EAs are supposed to be earning their money.., helping the sale along!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure