Barclaycard still chasing after DRO

Options
Hi all,

I am coming to you all again for a bit of advice if you'd be so kind. I was granted a DRO in April 2016 and was discharged in April 2017.

All of the creditors have now marked the debts as satisfied or partially satisfied on my credit report and I have started to take steps to rebuild my credit rating.

I'll cut a long story short, but after the DRO finished I received a letter from a debt collector on behalf of Barclaycard asking for payment. I sent them a copy of my DRO and they sent the debt back to Barclaycard.

I phoned Barclaycard and spoke to someone (and recorded the call). They said that the Insolvency Service never notified them of the DRO so as far as they were concerned the debt was still valid, and then they insisted multiple times that they couldn't find me on the Insolvency Register. After an extensive back and forth with me, they eventually said they found my entry on the register and acknowledged the DRO. They said they would mark the debt as satisfied.

The following month, sure enough, the debt was no longer listed on my credit report according to ClearScore and Noddle.

However, this month, the Barclaycard debt has reappeared on my credit report and is showing as being in default for the month of June.

This is especially frustrating as I have been making determined steps to rebuild my credit rating and I fear that this is going to undermine my hard work.

I don't know what to do. I have logged another complaint, this time via Resolver, but it says it can take two months for them to reply before I can escalate to the ombudsman.

It's really stressing me out that they are continuing to chase this debt and that they are screwing up the efforts I have made to rebuild my credit score.

I'm at a loss as to what the best course of action would be. Should I just grit my teeth and wait out the two months plus any additional time to escalate to the ombudsman? Should I phone Barclaycard and ask what's going on?

I just don't know what to do.

As always, any help and advise you can offer would be appreciated.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi bb130417

I understand your frustration but you’ve already done the right thing by making a formal complaint. It is correct that a creditor has 8 weeks to make a final decision on your complaint. If they fail to do that, or you are unhappy with their response, you can escalate your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

At the moment it’s a waiting game but it sounds like you can be confident the matter will be resolved as long as you are sure the debt was listed in your DRO application, plus the fact Barclaycard previously acknowledged your DRO. I hope you can get it all sorted soon.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    One of my clients had this problem yesterday with Barclaycard.

My advice was either to ignore, or send their letters back with the DRO number and date marked.

She did neither. She phoned them and was told the same b0llocks that you were.

She then again asked me for advice and I repeated myself.

She is now ignoring them.

I hope they waste their money on a court claim.
  • bb130417
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »

My advice was either to ignore, or send their letters back with the DRO number and date marked.

Thanks, I know you're right and that they have no valid claim at all, it's just the fact that they are continuing to affect my credit rating that's the problem.

Since the start of my DRO I have made a concerted effort to really take control of my finances, to ensure past mistakes are not repeated, but also to do what I can to improve my credit rating as much as possible, in case my partner and I are ever in the position to apply for a mortgage.

It just isn't fair that they can continue to affect my credit report like this. :(
  • fatbelly
    Options
    Is there a 'date of default' on your file? There should be, and it should be no later than the date of the DRO.

It then stays as a defaulted entry for 6 years. There is nothing you can do about that.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 August 2017 at 10:59AM
    Options

Fatbelly

Good strong advice as always.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bb130417
    Options
    Is there a 'date of default' on your file? There should be, and it should be no later than the date of the DRO.

It then stays as a defaulted entry for 6 years. There is nothing you can do about that.

The date of default on the file is 06/12/2011. However, the Barclaycard entry was on my report last month as "satisfied" and closed which is what all of the other creditors in the DRO have done.

This month it has reappeared as an active card with a default in June. It's like they've decided to report the card as active again after previously closing it as satisfied. Surely they aren't allowed to do this?

I'm not going to phone them again or anything, I've logged the complaint via Resolver, we'll see how it pans out I suppose. I'll escalate it as necessary if they don't reply.

Like I say, I know I don't owe the money, that aspect doesn't bother me. I just want them to mark the debt as satisfied/partially satisfied like they're supposed to.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    bb130417 wrote: »
    The date of default on the file is 06/12/2011. However, the Barclaycard entry was on my report last month as "satisfied" and closed which is what all of the other creditors in the DRO have done.

This month it has reappeared as an active card with a default in June. It's like they've decided to report the card as active again after previously closing it as satisfied. Surely they aren't allowed to do this?

I'm not going to phone them again or anything, I've logged the complaint via Resolver, we'll see how it pans out I suppose. I'll escalate it as necessary if they don't reply.

Like I say, I know I don't owe the money, that aspect doesn't bother me. I just want them to mark the debt as satisfied/partially satisfied like they're supposed to.

That's true. An account can't be defaulted twice. If it was defaulted in 2011, that stands and the entry disappears this year. You are right to complain.
  • bb130417
    Options
    Just a little update. I complained, Barclaycard failed to respond, I escalated to the ombudsman and a couple of weeks later I eventually got a reply from Barclaycard with an apology and a cheque. I'm not sure if the ombudsman had done anything in that two weeks or if it was just coincidence but either way the matter is now resolved.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi bb130417

It's always interesting to hear the outcome, and I'm glad this was a successful one. Thanks for updating us.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure