Money-managing program

Options
I've been looking for a good bit of money-managing software for home for a while now and I've come across the following:

gnucash - it's wonderful, free and full-featured! Shame it only runs on Linux when I run Windows most of the time. Not very practical for everyday use.
Microsoft Money - I have an old version of this lying around somewhere and I'm sure it's useful, but I don't fancy paying for something to use (cheapskate!)
Sage - I've seen my mum use this, but I think it's more business-oriented than I want for home.
Quicken - what my mum uses at home, but again, I'm a cheapskate and would like something free.

Anyone got any recommendations? I'm getting married and need to be a lot more responsible with my money...

Cheers

Comments

• Norman-B
    Norman-B Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone have an idea?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not download the Budget Planner from the blue bar along the top of this board? ;)
  • x3ja
    x3ja Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't quite clear - I don't live with my mum any more, so I can't just use it :D

And Budget Planner looks pretty nifty for an overview, but doesn't cover individual expenses and stuff. Still, nice tool to have to get an idea of how we're doing...
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can't you just load the old version of Money? It'll probably do all you want it to - you just won't have the new "bells & whistles" that MS think you might want ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • x3ja
    Options
    Yeah, I think I'll give Money a go. I always feel like I'm selling out if I commit my data to a Microsoft product... but maybe it'll be OK.

Cheers
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You could try one of the free finance apps listed here

cloud_dog
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • x3ja
    Options
    Oooh, a good list, am just downloading grisbi for Windows... http://sourceforge.net/projects/grisbi4win is the download link (I managed to find it despite the main site being in French and being a little unclear).

I'll let you know how I find it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport