help- soon no benefits!7 months pregnant too

Options
please help my partner was schizophrenic and has never had a job we were getting income support/incapacity and DLA however the doctor now thinks he is fit to work(we have a 2 months sick note). I am 7 months pregnant and getting hardly any work- supply teacher two days last month! we have a mortgage and get no help with that. i am really worried- my partner has tried applying for jobs in the past but legally must declare that he had schizophrenia and hence doesnt get any interviews- he also has no qualifications. he has tried to better himself- got a drivers license and worked voluntarily in a charity shop.
i dont think we will be able to get any benefits and i am worried.
last year i earnt about 25,000 so we wouldnt be able to get tax credits either- this year i have earnt very little!
what options are out there for us??

Comments

• SMC_2
    SMC_2 Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is your partner really fit for work? If he is not then you should go back to the doctor or see another.

If he is having trouble getting a job then he could ask the JobCentre for help, they can provide advice, courses for him to do etc....
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    Hi enimod

I'm not sure what the Job Centre has said about yr income support/incap but the DLA won't necessarily be affected by a doctor declaring yr partner fit to work. Have you been told that yr DLA is being stopped or reduced officially? DLA is designed to pay for help yr partner might need or actually receives as a result of his condition, and isn't paid dependent on whether someone is fit for work or not, although this can be a factor in certain circumstances.

He may be eligible for income-based Job Seeker's Allowance- you need to get moving on this asap through yr local job Centre Plus.

I work for a charity that supports people with learning disabilities to find paid employment - we are financed by Job Centre Plus and the European Social Fund. We often work with or refer people onto other organisations that support people with mental health issues to find work, and they also provide support with benefits. I would advise that yr partner makes an appointment asap with the Disability Employment Advisor (or 'DEA') at yr local Job Centre Plus (there can be quite a waiting list sometimes.) They will have details of the organisations which operate locally which may be able to support yr partner into work. Some offer back-to-work bonuses as well (but not all, though worth checking out.) It is quite an attractive prospect if you think about it - you get a 'key support worker' type person, who does all the legwork for him, checks his qualifications, if there is anything else he needs to study, has contacts with employers in the area, helps with applications and enquiries about vacancies, can go with him to interviews and offer support and help during the interview, particularly as to what employers can and can't ask, and can help to offer explanations as to how practically his schizophrenia may impact on his work and how he may overcome this. They also can offer support in work, if any issues arise as a result.

Is he after any particular type of work? There are employers out there who are substantially more 'equal opps' than others claim to be. Again this is something you can get guidance on.

HTH, if you want any advice do pm me and I can point you in the right direction.
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Shaw Trust : Directgov - Directories this is another charity that helps find work for mentally ill people. Either contact them directly or use your local office Disability Employment Advisers : Directgov - Disabled people
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Jo_R_2
    Jo_R_2 Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Options
    Shaw Trust very good in this area, definitely worth checking out.
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
  • enimod
    enimod Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    thank you so much for all the help- we will look into al of the above- have made an appointment to see an incapacity lady at job centre- often there isnt much in this area- whitby north yorkshire- but i will look into everything- might get back to Jo-R and Ted H. thank you
  • enimod
    enimod Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    have just tried the shaw trust people but they dont cover my area- looked into workstep etc -will go all clued up for tomorrows appointment at the job centre .
    thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport